Thread: I just bought ALL of the Arkansas Stones. All of them ever. Well, almost...

I just bought ALL of the Arkansas Stones. All of them ever. Well, almost...

Found this on ebay for $55 + $15 shipped:

24stones.jpg

No, I don't need that many stones. And, I feel a little bit crazy purchasing this many. But, seeing as they're all in new or like-new condition, and the whole package comes out to $3/stone, I couldn't pass it up and figured I could resell or even just give away most of them.

Most of them appear to be Soft Arks, but I'm hoping one(/some?) of these might be a Lily-White Washita (if anyone thinks that they can identify a candidate, please let me know! The one at the bottom, and some of the white ones look like candidates to me, but I'm not confident in my ability to identify them). I know, there's a very small chance of that, but hey! There also looks to be a Black Translucent, and... What's that little brown stone with rounded corners?

Anyway. Ummm...

I don't think I'll be wanting for stones for a while.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 08-26-2016 at 6:09 PM.

Little brown one looks like a razor hone.

I am pretty certain that the little brown stone is a Frictionite Razor Hone,which was the stone I used in the 70's and 80's. Today they are quite valuable among the AXE THROWERS in Australia,IF they are in new condition. Yours has been used and seems that it has been flattened until it is thinner than a new one. Could still bring $100.00 or more.

I have the little brown stone. It is a manufactured razor stone called Tonsorial Gem. The blue side is somewhat coarser. I would use it with lather.

I'm not seeing a blue side,Warren. I still think it's a Frictionite. Made in Moravia,Iowa(or was that Ohio?) Some time ago I had a good stash of those,and got David Weaver to sell mine for $350.00 each. But mine were new old stock,still in the wrappers. They were only about $6.00 each back when I bought them. I even had larger ones made for straight razor factories to use.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-26-2016 at 7:00 PM.

The one in the darker box looks just exactly like my Hard Arkansas from Dan's.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Nice find!

w.r.t. stone type, it's a lot easier to tell by using it than by squinting at photos, unless they're micrographs that reveal the novaculite grain structure as outlined in the other thread. Soft and hard arks have distinctly different "feel".
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-26-2016 at 9:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post

I don't think I'll be wanting for stones for a while.

You will always find an excuse to buy more!

> Stew
    Did you buy your Hard on sale from Dan's? It "looks" like a Soft, but the truth is that the way an Arkansas stone looks and the way it cuts/it's actual rating aren't always the same. There are hards that look like softs, and vice versa. Dan's often discounts these, because of consumer expectations I guess - though it makes no difference in the actual qualities of the stone.

> George and Warren
    Thanks guys! According to the seller, one of the stones is marked "Panama," which I found to be a brand of razor hone matching mine. Trying to research how much it goes for now.

> Patrick
    Yeah. I imagine I'll just have to put some oil on some of them and see how they feel / cut. Though, I guess it's hard to draw any real conclusions until you've used a stone for a while.
    I hate to go getting them messy if I'm going to resell them, but I guess I have plenty enough of the same types to try out.
    I have some softs and hards to compare to, but I have no clue what a genuine Washita feels like.

> Trevor
    Haha. I hope not... But, I probably will.
    I have this conflict going on. On one hand, I want to rid myself of all necessary things and adopt a minimalist life-style. On the other hand, I want to try everything under the sun first

Right now I'm operating on the, probably very flawed logic that I'll try everything, pick out what I like the most, and get rid of the rest. Because, we all know how easy that last step is ...

Here's to hoping they all arrive in one piece. Not sure how the seller plans on packing and shipping all of these for $15...

Blog Entries
    Nice score.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

New Duck!....

Looks lke a great haul! Hard to tell what type stones they are from the pic-but run your fingernail across the tops to sort out which are finr and which are coarser. Then try usng them to see how they work! If all natural arkansas stones, you'll need some oil on them.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.