Thread: Made a couple of tool rests

Made a couple of tool rests

Made a couple of tool rests from 1" and 3/4" diameter rod. I have other rests (Powermatic & Robust) but wanted these for finials and simply wanted to try my hand at making them.

One is a straight neck 4" wide and the other is a 30 degree bent neck, 6" wide. Both have the 1" neck tapered and transitioned into the 3/4" diameter rest. The bend in the neck for the 6" one was a bit of a challenge but nothing a torch couldn't augment.

I think they turned out okay and next up will be a couple of curved ones. The big sweeping curves will be fun to bend.

Here are some photos for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job, they look great!

3. Can you tell me your methodology of bending the posts. I've tried to bend a piece of 3/8" rod using a Benzomatic Propane Torch, without success. Is the flame from the propane not hot enough? What do you use? Thanks.

Really neat design and work.

Alan, is your banjo lever your design? I'd be interested in a close up photo, and any info.Thanks.

Good looking rests. Did you heat treat after bending and welding. I don't think it would be critical on the post, but I would think the rest should be hardened.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Can you tell me your methodology of bending the posts. I've tried to bend a piece of 3/8" rod using a Benzomatic Propane Torch, without success. Is the flame from the propane not hot enough? What do you use? Thanks.
    Edward, I'm not Alan, but I've bent some rod. A propane torch is not so good, as you guessed not nearly hot enough. You have to get the steel good and red to bend it easily.

The quickest is an oxy-acetylene torch but if you don't have one mapp gas (the yellow cylinder) will easily work on 3/8" steel rod.

I have not tried to bend a 3/4" or 1" rod with mapp gas but I've bent plenty of 1/4" and 3/8" round rod and some rectangular rod. If you have a good torch you might be able to use it with a mapp gas cylinder. If it is an old torch or a cheap torch I've read it might not hold up to the heat of mapp gas but I don't know - I use the same torch on both propane and mapp gas.

If you want to bend larger rod another option is to get a welding shop to heat and bend it with oxy-acetylene. If the angle doesn't have to be super critical a small shop might put it in a vise and bend it for a few bucks if they are not too busy.

Where do you live? I have torches. I suspect others here do too and would be glad to bend a piece or two for you.

I bent the steel for this small saw with mapp gas then welded with TIG. I love being able to make and fix things on a whim!

saw.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-27-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Can you tell me your methodology of bending the posts. I've tried to bend a piece of 3/8" rod using a Benzomatic Propane Torch, without success. Is the flame from the propane not hot enough? What do you use? Thanks.
    I bent the 1" diameter post by mounting it in a vise, heating it with a oxy cutting torch, and then a 30" chrome moly tube cheater that fit over it. I had to heat it three times to get it the 30 degree bend I was after. A small propane torch does not have the ability to deliver the heat needed. If I were doing multiples I would rig up a hydraulic press to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Good looking rests. Did you heat treat after bending and welding. I don't think it would be critical on the post, but I would think the rest should be hardened.
    The 1" post doesn't need it for sure. Anyway, this is cold rolled steel and it is not heat treatable. It did get a bit of quenching but that really gets you nothing with this material. I have found that cold roll is as hard as the cast iron rests that come on lathes. If it dents, sand it from time to time. I think that is overkill for a rest that will see finial duty.

As an alternative, I have thought about using some keyed shaft and epoxy in a piece of drill rod although for finials I don't think it is necessary. Another approach is to mill a slot in the rest rod and put in a drill rod. Likely too much work for the duty here.

Quote Originally Posted by joe marra View Post
    Alan, is your banjo lever your design? I'd be interested in a close up photo, and any info.Thanks.
    Joe, here is a better photo of the banjo lock lever. It is 1 1/4" aluminum with a knurled handle and gives you about a 4" extension over the stock lever. If you look at the photo closely you will see a set screw holding it on. Of course it is a bigger diameter than the stock lever that it extends and easier to grasp.

My next improvement to the banjo is the tool post elevation lock. I want something a little easier to handle and that gives a touch more leverage.

IMG_20160827_211651.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 08-28-2016 at 6:36 AM. Reason: grammar

11. John - Thanks for the offer to do a couple of bends. It looks like you're in TN. Since I'm in CT, I won't be able to drop by, but I appreciate the offer.

Alan - thanks for the reply.

Ed

Nice work Alan! Those look good, and I like the profiles.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.