Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epoxy

epoxy

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy 2part epoxy? Thanks, Byron

Best and cheapest are almost never the same thing.

And what type of epoxy. Or what do you want to do with it?
    There are many types of epoxies on the market
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by byron constantine View Post

The two might be mutually exclusive. The Cheapest place (hardware store, Walmart) might not give you the best epoxy. The Best epoxy might depend on what kind of epoxy you want.

I like System Three epoxy. The best place for me to buy small and moderate quantities is usually Amazon since it is painless to hit the Buy button and I don't have to drive.

Do you plan to use a lot or a little? The dual syringe applicators are nice for small quantities. Are you fastening, filling, or both?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by byron constantine View Post
    Probably Wally World, assuming you are looking for run of the mill 5 minuet epoxy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

System 3 and West seem to come up as the ones to use.

I took a class and the instructor used West, so that is what I use. She recomended jameston distributors, and I buy from there. If you just need a little bit, there may be better places. For turning work she suggested 105, and a set of pumps.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...05+Epoxy+Resin
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 08-27-2016 at 1:30 PM.

System three t88. I got mine from amazon

For an expensive yacht deck--Ant marine store brand. For a bowl crack repair the 5 minute double syringe type can hardly be beaten.

You can buy the small tubes for $4 at the hardware store but I like to buy the Bob Smith Industries epoxy at the local hobby store. I get 8 oz of epoxy for about $9 that way....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

For run of the mill 5 minute it is hard to beat the $1.98 two tube set from Harbor Freight. For quality I agree with West, and System Three. I built a fiberglass airplane and used T88 for structural attachments and SafetyPoxy for the large surfaces including the wing spars.

A very good alternative to West and System 3 is US Composites. It may be slightly lower in quality, but it's 1/3 the price. I've been using it happily for years.
    Gerry

JointCAM

epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    A very good alternative to West and System 3 is US Composites. It may be slightly lower in quality, but it's 1/3 the price. I've been using it happily for years.
    thanks for the info, will check them out , byron

I like West Systems, but I'm actually NOT of fan of System Three:

I've bought it several times, and each time one of the bottles would leak from the side a little, and also let air in, so the stuff starts going bad after maybe 6 months. I never had this happen with West.

A very decent general-purpose epoxy, for less money, is Loctite 5-minute. Easy to mix & work with, decent open time, etc. It appears to me to be the same stuff as the Bob Smith, (also good) though I can't be sure.

- The only niggle is that it darkens more with age than the others, which can be a factor in some uses. I would think that turning is one of those uses. I'm not a turner, so I don't know, but West Systems makes an epoxy that's guaranteed to stay clear over the years. (I forget the number. Someone here surely knows.) It's expensive, but probably a wise investment.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-28-2016 at 8:05 PM.

I looked up that West Systems "stays clear" epoxy, FWIW:

West System 105 resin, +
    West System 207 hardener (this is the clear part)

I have the same issue with my bottles Alan. I thought it was just me. I will try west systems.

This is what I most often use http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html