Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalbergia Nigra anyone??

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Ave been gently prodding a 79 year old turner ( he and his wife do the Craft Fair thing with very nice products ) to let me have a crack at some of his wood when he started liquidating things. His wife warned me that he keeps meticulous records, and knows exactly how much he paid for material; don't dare ask for a reduced price. He bought much of his stock years ago, and is only charging what he paid, so that really is fair. Anyway, he started the process, pulled a few pieces including Gonçalo Alves, East Indian Rosewood, etc., but when I saw this chunk, I grabbed it, scratch 'n sniffed it and put it in the sold pile. 1-3/4" thick, 20-1/2" long, 4-1/2" at the narrow end and 6-1/2" at the other. Beautiful orange with nice black stripes. AND, the smell is intoxicating. No plans what to do with it as of yet, but it will be special whatever the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 08-27-2016 at 9:19 PM.

That's some beautiful looking rose wood Dave nice find.
    If you need more for a project i know a wood turner that's selling some very nice boards.
    Too rich for my pocket book but someday I would like to make a little Dt box.

Aj

Andrew: I was thinking the same. A small DT box. When I hone my skills further, I will figure something out. We ran a LN 102 over a small raised portion on one side. Devine to plane, and then the odour!

This will be good for me; even if I bought some, ( assuming it is in the US ), I doubt it could cross the border. I was informally offered $200 for this piece: sorry, I am keeping this one.

We can't even bring Cocobolo into Canada anymore.

Dave B
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 08-28-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Beautiful. All I can say is don't rush it. Every time I force myself to figure out what to do with a piece of lumber, I regret it later for whatever reason. When, however, I allow circumstance to choose my lumber for me, I'm usually happy.

Not even legal to own in the USA anymore. Be careful.

Oh yeah I didn't think about the fact your in Canada.
    I withdraw my hookup offer.
    Now if could just find something to trade for some of Hal's wood.
    Nothing more exciting then working rare illegal wood.
    It reminds me of my outlaw days.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Interesting George- I did not know that. Wonder what the Canadian laws have to say -----

Not legal to OWN? I doubt it, George.

You're the last guy I'd ever argue with on such matters, (instruments, materials, etc) but this seems a little over-the-top. Are folks supposed to turn over all there wood, furniture, instruments, etc that contain this species to some government agency? (And then what, they burn it? Put it in a guarded vault? .... )

It's definitely illegal to export it, (even accidentally) but I've never heard of a law that says you can't OWN any specific material, except maybe plutonium. Certainly not anything listed by CITES. Heck, I don't think it's even illegal to SELL it, within your own border. (Unless that has changed.)

I have three Brazilian guitars, and a rather nice stash of this wood in my garages as well. (Some obtained from a former dumpster-diving Martin Employee, I'm sure you know that story about when they moved the shop across town years ago.) Should I be worried that someone is gonna' come knocking at my door with a warrant?

Just kidding, I think. I assume you just posted quickly and used the wrong word. Yes?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-28-2016 at 7:54 PM.

I suggest that you Google the legality of having Brazilian Rosewood. I'm going to myself to refresh my own memory.

I did Google it,but I'm leaving it up to you guys to unscramble the restrictions on having B.R.!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-28-2016 at 8:37 PM.

Gibson Guitars was raided by the FBI on suspicion of having ilegally imported wood.

So, ya never know.....

Nice! That wood is one of my favorites for woodturning.

JKJ

I suggest that you Google the legality of having Brazilian Rosewood. I'm going to myself to refresh my own memory.

I did Google it,but I'm leaving it up to you guys to unscramble the restrictions on having B.R.!!

LOL. Government regulations? No thanks !

I think Martin had gotten raided,too. Who keeps records on wood they have had around for years?

I think Martin had gotten raided,too. Who keeps records on wood they have had around for years?
    If those raids really happened, then maybe the laws really HAVE changed. I'd better find out as I might someday want to sell off my remaining stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    If those raids really happened, then maybe the laws really HAVE changed. I'd better find out as I might someday want to sell off my remaining stash.
    Let me know if you decide, especially if you have any thicker than 4/4.

JKJ