Thread: Guess im back, long time no see.

Guess im back, long time no see.

Hi guys and Gals, haven't posted on here in quite awhile, like about 5 years I'm guessing. Lol. Anyways, ran into bad times and had to sell all my equipment including my Vega lathe and haven't been in the vortex since .

But now I'm back but and have purchased a old Delta lathe but already having problems and probably spent to much on it but I'm not going to mention the price, I'm kinda sick about it right now. I'm trying to identify the model on this thing but it has been modified to a DC motor and controller and it is missing the model tag number. I'm guessing it may be back as far as early 1950's looking at other lathes in that time period, or this thing has been pieced together with other lathes. The tailstock handle is what makes me think 1950's.

Well, drove almost 200 miles to get this lathe and sounded real good at the mans house when I ran it, very quite and smooth. Got it home though and chucked up a spindle and started cutting, so far so good, well spindle started getting a little loose so I cranked down the tailstock quill a bit and started getting a rattling sound, so I stopped the lathe and loosened up the quill and restarted and it was locked up, ugh. I freed it with my hand on the headstock wheel and ran it again sounded ok but soon as I put horizontal pressure on it i'm out of commission. So best I can figure is the bearing are bad. But I don't have any idea on the model number on this lathe and what bearing to get for it, also I'm hoping the shaft or spindle isn't bent or something.

Thanks guys for listening, I hope someone can help.
    I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined person in the world, but I'm not afraid to take something apart, lol, just getting it back together seems to be the hard part.

ps. Gotta check out what you guys been making over the years, gotta be great I'm sure. Oh, and heres the pics of the lathe.
    20160827_184531.jpg20160827_184541.jpg20160827_184525.jpg20160827_184602.jpg20160827_184609.jpg20160827_184550.jpg20160827_184622.jpg

Put a stick against the bearing with your ear on the other end and listen to the bearing, quiet = ok, rough noise = replace. Bearings should have numbers on them, get from a bearing supply house, not the dealer.
    C&C WELCOME

Agree with Alan, bearings are easy to replace. Your old bearings will probably have a number on them. Short of that, you can measure the OD , the ID and thickness. I have used VXB bearings, they are very helpful.
    http://www.vxb.com/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Put a stick against the bearing with your ear on the other end and listen to the bearing, quiet = ok, rough noise = replace. Bearings should have numbers on them, get from a bearing supply house, not the dealer.
    Ok thanks, will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Agree with Alan, bearings are easy to replace. Your old bearings will probably have a number on them. Short of that, you can measure the OD , the ID and thickness. I have used VXB bearings, they are very helpful.
    http://www.vxb.com/default.asp
    Thank you, I will check them out.

Sure looks like a Rockwell 46-450. Here is a link to a manual from vintage machinery. Hope it helps.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6850
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

Blog Entries
    +1 on VXB. Good variety and very helpful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mezzatesta View Post
    Sure looks like a Rockwell 46-450. Here is a link to a manual from vintage machinery. Hope it helps.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6850
    Yes, I seen that one and is very close. I'm sure they haven't changed to much though.

There is a excellent explanation of how to change bearings in that manual. Easiest is to remove them and take them to a bearing supplier. There may be a number on them or you could measure inside, outside and width to describe them. Not a hard job.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

Great, yeah I've never changed bearing before so every little bit of information helps, thanks.

Well, ive found that im not to familiar with this lathe yet, was'nt the bearings but the nut on the end of the spindle or spindle nut i guess was'nt tightened which pulls the spindle back when tightened and keeps my spindle pulley away from the housing that it was rubbing on. Not sure if this is how it would've worked before this lathe was modified though. I'm sure they pulled certain things off and added the bracket to hold the DC motor it runs off of now. I'll have to take a picture of the inside to show you guys what i got and what i'm working with.

Anyways, I tightened the nut and its running smoothing again for now so we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.

Hopefully she runs fine for a long time.

Red
    RED