Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bench chisel handles

Breaking the rule is best done once you have mastered the rule. Without a sense of what constitutes good technique, what will you build on?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I agree, just pointing out that my video was not intended to show ideal technique but simply show what I had been doing on a cabinet. I'm sure David runs into awkward spots as well and I certainly appreciate his efforts in showing ideal technique.

I understand that posting my video to show my using a chisel of course brings up style and technique, so the comments are by no means out of bounds but its also fair for me to rein them in a bit by saying....'wait a minute, I'm not setup showing ideal'.

I have found that the points James and Warren have commented on to be accurate for my work as well, very often I'm working in awkward situations and it is worth mentioning that to level out the comments before we run completely down the path of 'ideal body mechanics' once more.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-31-2016 at 9:35 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think that it is a good lessen to get the feel of paring by practice in good positions. In reality you will find yourself in many positions, i.e. When Brian pared his finger recesses on the butlers desk. My feeling is just like learning to weld, you start out on the flat but in reality you must do the same quality upside down when you have to. That is all accomplished by the dexterity we have in the joints of our hands and arms.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I'm in David's camp here. The power comes from the body and not the arms. The arms and hands simply guide the chisel.
    I think everybody here (incl Steve) agrees that serious power should ideally come from the core. His point wasn't that that isn't the right answer (it is), it's that we shouldn't be excessively dogmatic about these things and flog people for deviating. Every rule has exceptions, even this one.

For example, do you make all of your carving cuts from your core? Keep in mind that there's nontrivial crossover between some of those and "detail" chisel work.

Also, videos represent people "on their best behavior" and attempting to demonstrate proper technique to their students. I bet if we had a webcam in David's shop we'd see some hand involvement when appropriate/harmless.

I got off topic a little, sorry. Here are a couple of photos about handles. I like heavier handles because I can't grip well with my thumbs anymore. The Stanley's, Pfiels, and the smaller Narex paring don't work well for me. I like the Mifers, the Narex and even the plastic Buck Bros. I can get those into my palm and grip the fat part and push without stressing the thumbs.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    There was a guy I golfed with who was writing a book on "recovery golf"; all about how to get out of the hard spots.
    I can't resist asking: Was he any good at chipping out of bunkers etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Breaking the rule is best done once you have mastered the rule. Without a sense of what constitutes good technique, what will you build on?
    Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. You have to really know the rule to recognize the true exceptions.

Single most important rule about using a chisel is to make sure that when and if the tool slips you don't end up drving the edge into yourself somehow. DAMHIKT, but I'm sure everyone has experienced this from time to time.

Like this?IMAG0248.jpgbarely bounced off my hand...

When cutting end grain, I find that many beginners want to stand upright, close to the vice, then bend the back, and try to push a chisel with the arms.

Once at a show, I pushed a 5/16" chisel into my palm. (Nothing to do with woodwork, just carelessly removing covers). Straight to A & E where it transpired that I had exposed a tendon but not nicked it. Returned to show and was rightly embarrassed by ex students saying " you told us not to do that!"

Someone mentioned golf. I used to play a lot with my father and have a hole in one tie. Pure chance!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I am reminded of a lawyer who thought he was a "sharpening guru", teaching classes. He insisted that the whole body had to sway with every stroke in order to sharpen a chisel. But if you are making 40 back and forth strokes in a dozen seconds or so, swaying the body at that pace is unreasonable.
    I believe that would be called Dancing!
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Trevor, he must have watched Jim Kingshott as well

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good technique for a long chisel.

I feel it might have gone slightly better if the work had been clamped or dogged to the bench top.

David