Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lid work, raising a panel

Lid work, raising a panel

Got the panel sized almost to the right size, needed a little plane work..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Edges were jointed. Laid out a line on the face( the good one) about 1" in all around. Started on the end grain first..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Using that Craftsman #3, going at a diagonal to the grain. When I finally got back to the stop line, I can check for fit..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    And clean things up with the 60-1/2 block plane. Both ends are done, moved on to the sides until I had it looking like this..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    the corners should have that diagonal line showing. You can adjust where it comes out at, by planing back a bit one side or the other. Test fit #1
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Turned out the panel was a hair too wide. More plane work. Narrow the panel, re-plane the bevel....next try..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    A little better fit. Now, IF Hoyle and Murphy will allow....
    IMAG0010.jpg
    Plane is for "scale". I haven't glued up the lid's parts yet. That will be later.

Sorry about the supposed terrible pictures, I'm running a wood shop, not a photo studio.

Hi Steven,

It looks like the box is coming along nicely, and I like the look of the wood. The photo with the plane on the box, and your comment that it is for scale helps, as prior to that I thought the box was much bigger than it is.

It seems like I remember you mentioning in an earlier post about the box that you have not yet decided what to use it for. If this is the case, have you thought of what you are planning to use it for yet. From the size, it doesn't look like you will be putting any of your #7 planes in it. Chisels and other jointery tools?

At any rate, it is looking good.

Stew

Ok, a little about the size of this box:
    Long sides are 12-1/2" ( barely) long
    Height with the lid is 5-3/8"
    Front to back is around 7-3/8" or so.

Sizes were determined by what I had on hand from the slab. And what was left from resawing the slab down. Tried to make it a hair bigger than the one I made for the Stanley No. 45. And, just a tad smaller than the box for the three planes. Makes things easier to stack. I am not too happy with the way the drill bit box has turned out..
    lid.jpg
    Too little room. Could convert this old box to hold the mortise chisels. Right now, I need some way to store all of the bits for the braces. About 3 times what is in that old box. Might work on making some sort of "index" that tilts up for use?

Steven it appears to me that you have too much fun doing all of your projects. I really enjoy watching what you do however so keep them coming. If it keeps raining on you you may need to think about a boat.
    Jim

That is mainly the idea of doing these projects....have a bit of fun. As for a boat.....well. you know what they say floats.

Steven,

Instead of an index, could you make shallow stacking trays to put the auger bits in? Finger jointed cherry...wow, if you go the bit way, you might have the classiest auger bit box in Ohio.

Stew

I'll see what I can do. Might be able to cobble something together?

And we have a glue up going on..
    clamped up.jpg
    Somewhere in that forest of clamps, lies a lid. Already rounded over a few edges
    round over.jpg
    Short ends, I could just use an old block plane...
    spokeshave and chisel.jpg
    On the longer sides, I had to use these to make stop cuts, and then follow up with the block plane.
    Idea was to barely round the corners, to break the sharp edges. The edges where the lid meets the box, also got a slight rounding. The also needed a bit of jointing, to remove a few rough spots.

Will let this sit overnight. No room on the bench, anyway. I'd post a photo of a package of small brass hinges I found...but some people would howl about picture quality...maybe when they are installed?

Hoping later today to go back and release the lid from the clamps. As for the packet of hinges..
    brass hinges.jpg
    Still in the ACE Hardware package, with the price tag. Came from a yard sale buy of a tub of "parts"

Lid was released from the clamps today. Test fitted to the box.....Needed to plane a bit, to mate the two together..
    before.jpg
    As the box was a hair bigger.
    lid fitted.jpg
    Shadow lines from a couple drop cords. Planes were a 60-1/2 and a Craftsman No.C3 ( Millers Falls No.8) Gave the one side a bath to check the grain, if any..
    grain show-off.jpg
    Has a wee bit. Shadow line is all around. Hinges?
    hinges.jpg
    They are a bit too wide for the wood, but I can either grond off what I don't need, or just bend them down to wrap around.

Deciding on other Brass parts, what Cherry Friendly ( and ME friendly) finish to use. Whether this will be an Auger bit storage, or something else, remains to be seen.

Less than a dollar for the wood.....hinges came from a tub of parts at a yard sale....maybe $2 for the tub. Time in the shop? Priceless....

Steven,

I really like the grain, it is really spectacular, I think! As to finish, I don't have clue, but whatever you decide to try, it might be a good idea to try some on a bit of the lumber that is left over from the project.

Because of the beautiful grain, I am looking forward to seeing the project with the finish on it, I hope it really makes the grain really stand out like in the photo, and the color is really excellent also. I think the brass will really go well with the dark color of the cherry too. Good job so far.

Stew

taking a day or two off from this project, and cleaning a few items up. Might get a few tools ready for that auction site....and I will try to id an Atkins saw I picked over the weekend.

Shellac?

Watco Oil?

Tung oil?

Might surface mount the hinges?

Need to sit and think awhile on this little box. Might turn into something a little bit special.....

Ok, a quick up-date:

There was a cut-off from the lid's panel. Sanded it down with the beltsander to remove the bulk of the rough stuff, then hand planed both sides smooth. One is now curing with a single coat of my Infamous Witch's Brew.

Went shopping today....for such a small job, a $20 quart of WATCO was vetoed by the Boss of the house. Sooo, I went and picked up a new quart of BLO, and a small can of clear gloss varnish. Plan is to mix a 50/50 batch, and test it out on the other face of the panel......Film at 2300hrs, ZULU......

Started installing the hinges, Back edge of the lid was too thin, so a "backer" piece was glued in place on the inside...( out of sight, out of mind?) Hinges are nailed in place. At least on the lid part. Used the end vise to both hold the lid still long enough to put in a couple nails, and act as a second backup under the nailing going on. One hinge done, rotate to the other end, and nail the second hinge. Hinges are a bit fancy, so they will be shown outside the box.

Will need to finish fitting the lid where it touches the top edge of the box....couple high spots on each to plane down...

As for what is going inside this box.....will depend on what I sneak away with this weekend at the local Tractor Fest down at West Liberty, OH. last year, just missed out on a couple Stanley #71s.....drat. Maybe this year?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-01-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Fought with the nails on the hinges, and the latch...one of THEM type of nights..
    Attachment 343406
    Meh...Still has a shadow line, might keep it that way...

Ok Witch's Brew is dry...
    Attachment 343407
    This is the sample piece....lots of tearout, no wonder it was scrap...
    And the BLO/Varnish mix
    Attachment 343408
    A little lighter in colour....might use it, instead.....found a jar to mix it in..
    Attachment 343409
    Mix wound up being a 70/30 mix of BLO and varnish.....Might make some use out of that little jar....

Not sure what happened with THOSE photos.....how'd they become "attachments" instead of just photos? Not sure how to "fix" THAT problem.....