Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INCRA TS-LS Table Saw Fence 32"? 52"? or...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Hoang N Nguyen

Thanks for the information. It really helps.

Questions: You say you have a 36" model. I only see 32" and a 52" models. Is it an older or different version that I am looking at. http://www.incrementaltools.com/Tabl...Fences_s/3.htm

Have you ever moved the rails to the right to get more capacity? JimE
    My mistake, I have the 32" rails and not the 36". I don't know why I always mix up the two.

I installed the rails according to the instructions and don't think moving them further to the right would work. With the rails mounted the way they are now, the arm is all the way extended when the fence is next to the blade. If I moved the rails further to the right along with the whole arm, I don't think it has enough travel in it for the fence to touch the blade. I make a lot of narrow cuts around 2-3 inches so it wouldn't work for me. I always break down sheet goods with my tracksaw, than it goes to the TS for final trimming. Even with a parallel guide on my track saw, all my parts tend to come out a hair off from each other. So I always break them down about 1/2" wider and trim to final dimensions on the TS. All parts come out dead on to each other, plus it's easier to feed smaller sheets through the TS than it is a 4x8 sheet.

Hoang N Nguyen, moving the rails still works as the stops in the rails dictate the position of the arm. You would have to reset the stops but, as Jim mentioned earlier, you will get more travel to the right. Benefit of the longer cross cut isn't for panels as on a cabinet saw without additional front support, you would still have a stability issue. Where it helps is in crosscutting long boards to a precise length, using a short stop clamped to the fence

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Hoang N Nguyen, moving the rails still works as the stops in the rails dictate the position of the arm. You would have to reset the stops but, as Jim mentioned earlier, you will get more travel to the right. Benefit of the longer cross cut isn't for panels as on a cabinet saw without additional front support, you would still have a stability issue. Where it helps is in crosscutting long boards to a precise length, using a short stop clamped to the fence
    You are correct, I just assumed when Jim asked about moving the rails further to the right that he also wanted to move the stops so he can get a wider cut than 32". That's why I made the comment about the fence not being able to extend towards the blade.

Thanks to all. Your time and effort is appreciated.

After a long conversation with Mark in tech service at Incra I placed my order for the 32" model. My main reasons for choosing the 32" model after taking with Mark was that I do not do sheet goods and the foot print, although I do have the room. Per Mark, I can just mount the rails to the right because I do nothing to the left of the blade. Cost was not a factor in my decision.

We shall see. Thanks again for the help. JimE

Congratulations Jim--getting the decision out of the way is always a relief for me. If you lived closer--i'd have happily paid the extra for the long rails & legs, and swapped you my shorter rails!!

earl

Good choice. I've had my 32" Incra for going on 10 years now and I have never regretted the decision. I have my rails mounted to the right, beginning at the left wing/just flush with the power switch. With that setup, I get 43" of cut when I move the carriage, which is the most I ever need. Except once, about 7 years ago, and that's what you see pictured here. I moved the rails as far to the right as possible and was able to get over 50" of cut (when the carriage was moved all the way to the right, and in this picture it is not).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info and the picture. That looks like my PM saw is what I am talking about doing. I can live with the once every 7 years things. At 73 I won't be needing it too much.

I see you have 8 L-brackets on the rails and it only comes with six. Mark at Incra indicated using them is one way to attach the wooden section of the table. Is that what you have done?

It the fence in the 32" position in the picture? It looks like it can go another 10"-12".

Appreciate the help.

JimE

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Good choice. I've had my 32" Incra for going on 10 years now and I have never regretted the decision. I have my rails mounted to the right, beginning at the left wing/just flush with the power switch. With that setup, I get 43" of cut when I move the carriage, which is the most I ever need. Except once, about 7 years ago, and that's what you see pictured here. I moved the rails as far to the right as possible and was able to get over 50" of cut (when the carriage was moved all the way to the right, and in this picture it is not).
    Last edited by Jim Eller; 08-30-2016 at 9:32 AM.

I see you have 8 L-brackets on the rails and it only comes with six. Mark at Incra indicated using them is one way to attach the wooden section of the table. Is that what you have done?
    Actually I have 6 front and 6 in the rear, 12 total. I did purchase extra brackets so I could attach the table, but I really don't know why I decided to add so many.

It the fence in the 32" position in the picture? It looks like it can go another 10"-12".
    It's in the 32" position, but could go nearly another 20" with the rails where they are. It can be moved all the way to the stop bolts at the far end of the rails, 50"+ in that position.

Here is another picture, taken this morning, with the rails where they have been for the past 7 years. 32" max cut in this position, 43" cut when moved to the stop bolts in the end position. Other than that one time 7 years ago, I've never needed more capacity. Actually I rarely need to move it to get more than 32", but that additional capacity of course depends on what type of projects one works with.

J. Greg Jones,

Really helpful info and visual.

If you had to do it again, how many L-brackets would one really need? I believe it come with 6. Would four on the cast iron table/wings and four for the wooden part of the table be sufficient? Mark at Incra also mentioned to just put a 1" spacer between the wooden extension and the rails. Any thoughts on that? How would you secure it to the rail with the spacer method? I don't visualize that without drilling through the rail.

I haven't ordered any extra brackets yet. I have a 3-4 wait(so they say) so I have plenty of time. Perhaps not installing the wooden extension would be a plus. It seems to be a real attraction for collecting "stuff".

Thanks again.
    JimE

Jim, the rails take standard 1/4"-20 square nuts on the inside face. I used 1.75x0.75" hardwood screwed with bolts and nuts to the rail, and then fixed a 18mm Baltic Birch worktop to the hardwood. I believe the instructions are in the manual online page 11.

Depending on how your PM saw extension is fixed to the wing and legs, I would think 2 brackets for the extension and four for the iron would work. That way the iron takes most of the load

Andy,

Once again, THANKS!

I will find the manual online and give it a look.

Just check the PM66 and how the wooden extension is attached. It currently is attached to the PM rails with six bolts on each side. It is not attached to the right wing(no pun intended) but the wing could be drilled it could be bolted to it.

If the Incra brackets are needed, I have no problem with that but each pair I save buying is $17 plus shipping I can use for other shop stuff. And Lord knows I need more stuff in the shop.

The help and advice is really appreciated.

JimE

If your existing extension is not bolted to the iron then I think you're either going to have to drill the wing and attach it or I'd recommend a couple of extra Incra brackets as per J Greg's photo. Either would work as the existing legs at the end of the extension will support the rail ends - just need something near the middle. If it looks unstable after drilling, you could always add the extra brackets later

Andy,

I think I will bolt the extension to the wing now while everything is aligned and flush. JimE

14. Just purchased my TS32. Took me a couple of days to install on my Craftsman 21833, but I am really happy with it so far. The Craftsman fence was a far cry from what I was use too. I had a Beisemeyer style fence on my old saw, but the amount of modifications I was going to have to make was a little unnerving. There would have to be some cutting, drilling and other metal work. WHY??? So, I decided to look at new ideas. I had always looked at the Incra system and thought that it was a good idea and the more research I did, the better it was looking. So when it went on sale 3 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and bought one. I had a couple of questions after I ordered it, so I called and talked to Mark. Great guy, very helpful and he answered all my questions.
    I installed the fence system and can tell you that it is awesome. I make alot of drawers and I now have true repeatability. Don't have to sneak up on cuts. I refer to the log book for a particular drawer I need to make and all my measurements; I just set the fence accordingly. Takes me only a few seconds to make changes, but the cuts are dead on. Drawbacks??? None yet, but it is still early in the project. One other thing, the original Craftsman fence rails were made up of several pieces. I was never really happy with that and the fence adjustments always seemed a little cattywampus. (Tap this end, oops, tap the other end, oops) I always had a ruler lying handy just for that reason. Now, I feel more confident about my saws fence system than ever before.
    Oh well, just my point of view, definitely think the fence is worth the price!!

[QUOTE=Oh well, just my point of view, definitely think the fence is worth the price!![/QUOTE]

David,

I would agree. A little pricey but you get what you pay for(or close). Kind of like my Festool tools. You either love 'um or ya hate 'um.

The TS fence is something I wish I would have done a long, long time ago. I keep going back and checking it with the digital calipers and the cuts are just as accurate as the were when I set it up the first time. Lovin' it!

I was so impressed with it that I ordered the LS Positioner Super System for my router table. I have the same impression of it. Today is the first time I did a test(box joints) and they were perfect the first time. Absolutely no gaps. They were just like the Incra video demo. I guess the Incra I-Box Jig is up for sale. Bought it when they first came out and never even tried it.

The Incra folks, Neil and Mark are both fantastic folks to work with.

Thanks for the feedback. JimE