Thread: Incra Miter Gauge w/ Fence vs DIY sled for accurate, measurable crosscuts?

Incra Miter Gauge w/ Fence vs DIY sled for accurate, measurable crosscuts?

As I'm getting used to my new DeWalt jobsite saw one thing I noticed that I need is a method of crosscutting that allows me to measure pieces on the spot for cutting the way that I do when using the rip fence ruler. Should I look into an Incra Miter Gauge with an integrated fence for this or am I better off building a crosscut sled? If the latter, what's the best solution for integrating a ruler into the sled? Most of the DIY sleds I've seen are just bare wood with no easy solution for measuring or positioning stop blocks. I won't have a miter saw for some time so I'll be using the table saw for all my crosscutting needs for the time being.

I'd go with a shed as oppose to the incra miter gauge. I have the incra miter gauge and hardly ever use it. I feel it's too much trouble switching it from left and right operations and having to re-zero everything each time. For that reason it rarely gets used.

It's cheaper to build your own sled and just add a measuring scale to it. You can buy a 4' section of the kreg tracks and mount it to the top of the rear fence on your sled. Zero in the scale and you're set to go. You can go even cheaper by adding just a regular T track and making your own stop blocks. Same deal applies, add a scale to that and zero it in.

I have a miter saw so I use that to break down longer boards. My miter saw station has the kreg tracks and stops on them so I never need to pull a tape anymore. For longer and wider boards, I use my Festool MFT/3 table. I use my tablesaw sled for smaller pieces.

Dedicated sleds is great if you are doing repeated 90 degree or 45 degree cross cuts.

The Incra is good for all those in between angles.

Miter gauges aren't great for rulers. But the flip stop makes it great for repeatability.

If you are doing frames that require 45's then any miter gauge is a pain like Hoang says.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    IMO a sled is a must have for a tablesaw, the Incra miter gauge is a nice to have. I have a 9 1/2' slider and still use my Incra miter gauge almost daily.
    As for rulers, even with all the bells and whistles on jigs and gadgets I rely on one (1) tape measure and story sticks for most projects.
    Btw.: A sled adds a great deal of safety to a table saw. Google is your friend to find the right design that suit your needs.
    Last edited by John Lankers; 08-29-2016 at 10:20 AM.

My experience is just like the other posters. I have an Incra HD 1000 miter gauge that gets used once every few months when I need some angle other than 45 or 90. Almost all the time, I use my crosscut or miter sleds. Waaaay better control of the work piece.