Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Scaredy Cat with your tools

Cool Are you a Scaredy Cat with your tools

You get a brand new plane or chisel with the best steel and you sharpen it up enough that you could shave a shadow off of your eyeball and leave no trace. Now for the test. Do your test it on a knarley piece of new lumber or do you do the test on the most perfect board you can find in your stash. Then do you put it away for only perfect pieces or do you put it to work as a regular worker. I started to find myself leaning towards this thinking and had to resist. I just make myself use the great tools that I own and found that they work just fine and are a pleasure to use. No babying for me anymore. How about you?
    jim

If I buy a new tool it is most likely (certainly not always) for a purpose so I use it for the task at hand (what I purchased it for), whether rough, smooth or what-have-you.

EDIT: That being said, I AM careful with my tools.

Blog Entries
    My most expensive tool purchased so far, LN #62, gets treated just as roughly as my less expensive tools. It can handle it.

It likely could shave the shadow off an eyeball. After one careful sharpening it took a shaving I measured at 0.0004". That even surprised me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

New tools? Well mostly new to me old tools. I did buy some new blades for my vintage Stanley 71, but that's about it lately. The new ones cost less than the vintage Stanley ones on the auction site.

Well, no, I use the new to me old tools, once they are tuned up, when a need arises.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    You get a brand new plane or chisel with the best steel and you sharpen it up enough that you could shave a shadow off of your eyeball and leave no trace. Now for the test. Do your test it on a knarley piece of new lumber or do you do the test on the most perfect board you can find in your stash. Then do you put it away for only perfect pieces or do you put it to work as a regular worker. I started to find myself leaning towards this thinking and had to resist. I just make myself use the great tools that I own and found that they work just fine and are a pleasure to use. No babying for me anymore. How about you?
    jim
    I only test my new tools on the finest, pristine MDF...

(MDF is nastily abrasive stuff. Definitely not recommended)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-30-2016 at 2:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I only test my new tools on the finest, pristine MDF...

(MDF is nastily abrasive stuff. Definitely not recommended)2
    Glad you clarified that Patrick. Thought you slipped a cog for a moment.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My most expensive tool purchased so far, LN #62, gets treated just as roughly as my less expensive tools. It can handle it.

It likely could shave the shadow off an eyeball. After one careful sharpening it took a shaving I measured at 0.0004". That even surprised me.

jtk
    Wow Jim. You need to go to the contest with Brian.
    Jim

The ones I have are all users, and they will get used on whatever lumber I am working on, at the time....knots and all. IF they can't handle the work, I will find one that does, and ship the reluctant ones off to Auctionland....

Whenever I get a new tool that's really new, I'm actually kind of relieved when it gets the first scratch or ding. Like 'glad that's over with.'

However, I have to admit that my pair of Veritas skew block planes - an indulgent expense, really - get wrapped in rust-inhibiting paper and put back in their boxes after use.

Fun question. I have a complement of rougher planes and chisels that I use for rougher work. I save my best planes and chisels for my most demanding work. Yes, the ones I baby are probably the best tools with the best steel. They are probably able to take on the roughest work. But I like to know that there is a newly sharpened excellent tool waiting for me when I need it. I'm too old to remember what I was planning to do with a tool if I have to take time to sharpen it first.

Doug

I'm not going to use my Blue Spruce long thin paring chisels to work MDF, I got el cheapo Stanleys, Irwins and vintage for that. But, mostly, all tools are users. No shelf queens.

I'll take it a step further. I actually didn't hone a new LN chisel for fear I'd screw it up some how. Of course, eventually, I had to suck it up and reluctantly give it a touch up. I will admit I have two fairly inexpensive Japanese paring chisels that have yet to see a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Jim; your still not achieving the sharpness as John Blazy.

Ok, I just timed myself on the 1-1/2" Greenlee in the pic below just now, and without rushing took me 72 seconds to grind down a nick, then waterstone to shave my arm. Then hit the rouge wheel to bring up the shine, and if I wave it through the air fast enough I can split the nitrogen from the oxygen.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-29-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Stewie, when I saw you responded to this thread, I thought for sure you had seen my post and suggested that I look in the mirror. Any you would be 100% correct.

Not really much experience with new tools, but I have another silly habbit. When I do a clean up and sharpen up the planes on my bench, then I tend to "play" with them until they are dull again....