Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a Scaredy Cat with your tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Not really much experience with new tools, but I have another silly habbit. When I do a clean up and sharpen up the planes on my bench, then I tend to "play" with them until they are dull again....
    Been there, done that, mesmerizing and still do it occasionally. That is why my tendency now is to mostly sharpen tools while in use or before use. Then all the joy of watching shavings can be productive work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Couple of thoughts:

1. I buy my tools to use them.
    2. My tools usually look new, even after years of use, because I am careful with them.
    3. When I am about to do something highly abusive, I may choose the tool based on that; for example, I used a hand plane to remove bumps from a particle board floor containing screws. I chose an older plane that I was less adverse to possible scratching the bottom of the plane. The blade was a fancy expensive new blade. I dinged up the blade a bit, but that was easily fixed. When my neighbor wanted to borrow a chisel, he got a $2 stanley that I then had to fix when he was done.

I can usually fix a blade, not so much the body of a tool. If I only own one instance of a tool, then that tool kind of has to be my beater version. I buy them to use them, however, not just look at them.

I have my garage tools and I have my shop tools and never the twain shall meet. The garage tools are used for rough carpentry, working with knotty pressure treated lumber, opening paint cans (kidding), and loaning to those folks whose tool handling habits are either unknown or suspect. All of my tools are users with the exception of a few inherited antiques which are very special to me. Even they get used on special occasions when I feel like waxing nostalgic about my shipwright and housewright forbearers.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

For me a better policy is just trying to be efficient with tool usage.

My goal is fewer, well-placed: cuts, chops, pares, and strokes.

I guess trying to be more deliberate makes me feel less guilty and precious about using my nicer tools.

I do enjoy practicing, but I'm trying hard not to practice or get distracted during projects.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-30-2016 at 1:57 PM.

Does buying a tool and never using it count? I'm guilty of "hey, the price is right" so I will buy it.

With every intention of using it. Someday.

Every time you resharpen you have a new tool.......

When my grandmother had to move from her house, and my parents were cleaning it out, they found a drawer in her dresser that had all the handkerchiefs I and others had given her for her birthdays/Christmas. These were "lady's handkerchiefs," with embroidery or printed flowerdy things on them, very pretty. She was saving them "for good," meaning for special occasions. Years and years of untouched handkerchiefs, while she got by with more mundane versions.

They're tools; use 'em. Treat them well, and don't use them for planing mud off a piece of construction lumber (I agree with others that it's not a bad idea to have "rough work" tools; just don't use them for everything and leave the shiny ones on the shelf). But use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    When my grandmother had to move from her house, and my parents were cleaning it out, they found a drawer in her dresser that had all the handkerchiefs I and others had given her for her birthdays/Christmas. These were "lady's handkerchiefs," with embroidery or printed flowerdy things on them, very pretty. She was saving them "for good," meaning for special occasions. Years and years of untouched handkerchiefs, while she got by with more mundane versions.

They're tools; use 'em. Treat them well, and don't use them for planing mud off a piece of construction lumber (I agree with others that it's not a bad idea to have "rough work" tools; just don't use them for everything and leave the shiny ones on the shelf). But use them.
    My Mom did the same kinds of things. I guess it may be an aging thing. When I was working I bought tools to work. I didn't tend to hold them back. Recently I found myself hesitating to use my better or newer tools. I have now decided to give tools that I have multiples of to SIL, he is a woodworker and has my two grandsons to work with him they are young yet but have started things like Boy Scout projects. After all I don't think at my pace now I will ever wear out pmv11 blades and such. I do treat my tools well so I'm going to use them just like they were intended. I was just wondering what others do. I have seen people keep tools in original boxes and get them out only to work on "special projects". I don't want to get there for sure.
    Jim