Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be aware if wanting to buy from bestsharpeningstones site

Be aware if wanting to buy from bestsharpeningstones site

Hello everyone-
    I just thought to leave a quick review regarding my experience buying sharpening stones from the bestsharpeningstones website. About a month ago I ordered few different stones and accessories from them for few hundred dollars. They advertise free shipping for 2-3 days shpiping on bigger orders. I immediately received a tracking number which when tracked shows no actual tracking for any items. I have been emailing them over and over through different channels but not a single respond. I also tried contacting John Poe who is the guy in charge I guess with no luck. I called several times but both their numbers are for an answering service who just say they will pass my info along but I never heard again. Finally I checked and saw several similar complains on BBB site even though they are not accredited. I also saw other similar reviews in other woodworking forums. I wish I had checked them before. Most complains are about not receiving items, or partial receiving, or receiving empty boxes. Thankfully I paid with PayPal and looks like they can get me a refund.

Save yourself the headach even their prices might be a few buck better, you might never see your item.

Sorry that you had to take the hit, but thanks for flagging this land mine

Thanks for the review! Good to let others know about bad companies! Dont worry, Paypal will take care of you. Youll get your money back.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I recently, essentially had the same experience with the same company: tracking number created, item never actually shipped, no response to emails or answering service calls. Never received item. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. When I checked BBB (unfortunately after the fact) I noted the company's rating is F and complaints very similar to Tony's and mine.

Wow, what's amazing is that as soon as you google sharpening stone " bestsharpeningstones .com " comes up as one of the top 3 results. Usually such sites are ok. I mean you'd think that benefit of doing actual business with such name and such google status would be much higher than to just rip people off like this. I have opened a case with PayPal and I'm pretty sure I'll get my money. The only thing that worries me a bit is if the guy tells PayPal that he will make good on the order and then send me an empty box. I read on BBB that he has sent empty boxes before. And, as far as PayPal is concerned if he give them a tracking number that actually shows a delivery he is good to go. The first tracking number he gave me still shows nothing as of now. I guess we will see.

If PayPal doesn't help you (which I feel confident they will) then you can still make a claim with your credit card. They will make it right.

Sorry this happened to you.

PayPal always sides with the buyer.
    Gerry

JointCAM

You can pay to have your site come up in the top three or five searches. A good computer type can do it for relatively nothing. Thanks for the lesson. Sorry you had to learn it.

I was looking for a pair of stones to touch up chisel and plane iron edges quickly while working and I ran across this thread. I'm glad I did too. I was ready to place an order with Best Sharpening Stones since they seemed to have the most competitive prices. However, any company who has ever exercised the kinds of practices reported here deserves to be out of business. Thanks so much for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Just the site name scares me away. Thanks for the heads up though.

Wow! About 2 months ago I called them , told the customer service girl that I had a question before I placed an order...no one ever called me back.
    Lucky me.
    Rick

I went through the same thing with bestsharpeningstones a couple years ago. Like you I got a refund through eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    You can pay to have your site come up in the top three or five searches. A good computer type can do it for relatively nothing. Thanks for the lesson. Sorry you had to learn it.
    Google puts a little "Ad" icon next to the "promoted" results (the ones that are paid for as you describe) so that they're clearly distinguishable from the search results.

FWIW when I search for "sharpening stone" bestsharpeningstones.com doesn't even come up on the first 3 pages.

Definitely not speaking for my employer, Google.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-08-2017 at 7:20 PM.

I’ve always dealt with sharpeningsupplies.com. Excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by tony mashadi View Post
    Wow, what's amazing is that as soon as you google sharpening stone " bestsharpeningstones .com " comes up as one of the top 3 results. Usually such sites are ok. I mean you'd think that benefit of doing actual business with such name and such google status would be much higher than to just rip people off like this. I have opened a case with PayPal and I'm pretty sure I'll get my money. The only thing that worries me a bit is if the guy tells PayPal that he will make good on the order and then send me an empty box. I read on BBB that he has sent empty boxes before. And, as far as PayPal is concerned if he give them a tracking number that actually shows a delivery he is good to go. The first tracking number he gave me still shows nothing as of now. I guess we will see.
    it'd be a shame to resort to this but if someone received a box that felt suspiciously light, maybe have someone video you opening it. That way if the box is indeed empty you'd have video proof of opening the sealed box. Destroy any wrapping in the process so you couldn't be accused of reusing the original wrapping to wrap an empty box. Probably not perfect but should help your case. SWMBO buys 'art pottery' and has received some pretty beat up boxes containing poorly packed and broken pottery. She always takes pics before opening in such cases. She has never failed to get her money refunded.