Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G0513X2F - Plastic Hand Wheels and Knobs

As an UPDATE to the thread, a gentleman named Craig from Grizzly Tech Support just called me out of the blue after finding my post here to check on the saw. He apologized for the incorrect information provided me previously about the hand wheels/knobs and extended support for any problems I may have with the plastic ones for the first year or so. Also offered some advice on saw and mobile base setup which was really nice.

Very nice gesture by Grizzly to monitor the forum and to call me unsolicited. I'm gaining nothing by sharing this as I was offered no form of reimbursement and I requested none. Just thought it was a good sign of future customer support should I have any issues with the saw or the plastic items.

Blog Entries
    Despite some issues and loud complainers here and there I have never had anything but top notch support from Grizzly. The only support I have needed was pre-sale and a cast iron replacement after the sale that would have snuck by nearly any QA person. I know some folks love to hate 'em but, I have not found reason.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Despite some issues and loud complainers here and there I have never had anything but top notch support from Grizzly. The only support I have needed was pre-sale and a cast iron replacement after the sale that would have snuck by nearly any QA person. I know some folks love to hate 'em but, I have not found reason.
    Yeah, I've made my peace with it. Their unprompted call helped assure they care about customer support. If it continues to bother me I'll look at the metal replacements and find something else to worry about. Now I just need to cut some 3/4" plywood for the mobile base and get the saw moved off the crate and onto the base.

It's no big deal to buy a wheel that suits your fancy then drill and tap if it bugs you too much. The knob that locks the infeed table on my Jet JJP-12 was smaller than I cared for. Bought a cast iron handwheel, drilled the bore to the correct size and tapped. Cast iron is soft and easy to deal with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ironically, someone posted this link over on OWWM yesterday; http://www.stronghandtools.com/valtra/index.php

It looks like you can get just about all of the knobs, levers, and hand wheels you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Ironically, someone posted this link over on OWWM yesterday; http://www.stronghandtools.com/valtra/index.php

It looks like you can get just about all of the knobs, levers, and hand wheels you would need.

Thanks, that is an awesome reference resource. I bookmarked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It's no big deal to buy a wheel that suits your fancy then drill and tap if it bugs you too much. The knob that locks the infeed table on my Jet JJP-12 was smaller than I cared for. Bought a cast iron handwheel, drilled the bore to the correct size and tapped. Cast iron is soft and easy to deal with.
    I wish my jointer had wheels. I have the powermatic 54a and only have the stick style adjustment on the two sides. Seems like a geared wheel setup would be easier to get fine adjustment on. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I wish my jointer had wheels. I have the powermatic 54a and only have the stick style adjustment on the two sides. Seems like a geared wheel setup would be easier to get fine adjustment on. Thanks for sharing the pic.

That is just the lock wheel. The table adjustment is via a lever which works okay but well constructed wheel mechanism might be capable of finer adjustment. I've not found a need for precise infeed table adjustment. If I'm fitting a board and need to remove only a whisper, I find a hand plane is more precise and controllable.