Thread: Segeasy vase

Segeasy vase

This vase is unusual in the fact that each ring has one more wedge than the one below. The bottom ring consist of 8 wedges, the next 9 and so on until the top ring of 48. Doing the calculations yields 1184 then adding the solid base makes 1185 pieces in the vase.
    How it is done.
    I have a set of wedges that can exactly make wedges containing 8, 12, 15, 16, 18, 20, 24, 30, 32, 36, 40, 45, or 48. These wedges are used to cut angles on the wood sections allowing wedges to fit to make a perfect ring of 360 degrees. For example the 360/8 yields 45 degrees wedges.
    The rings from these wedges are shown in the vase as a single wood(oak). To get the odd ring wedges you can take for example the 8 wedges and only make 7 wedges, then add 2 wedges of a different wedge set and get nine wedges. The trick is that degrees of all the wedges must total 360. These are shown in the darker wood. The cherry wood is the attempt to show how the base ring is changed to get the correct segment count for the ring. The vase is about 15" high and 12" at the widest.
    This will go to an auction LOML adds dried flowers.
    .IMG_0912.JPGIMG_0911.JPG

I like it. I see your design on the side with the cherry. Jerry Bennett is in our club in College Station. He's a nice man. I have the same set you do, but haven't had the time to use them yet.
    RP

Amazing work on that vase. That is a lot of wedges.... Looks great!
    Billy

Thanks Billy and Robert.
    I have been amazed at how easy Jerry's wedges has made doing segmented work and was challenged to see how many different wedges could be use to make rings, and this was a result. I have made two others with slightly different designs. I saw a new way to use the wedges on Woodturners forum by Gordon McEwan and have integrated it into the latest vase, I will post when complete.

Bob