Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumbo jaws - Vicmarc or Stronghold?

Jumbo jaws - Vicmarc or Stronghold?

I have both Oneway Stronghold and Vicmarc 120 chucks.

I am going to add a set of jumbo jaws in the nominal 14" range for use on my PM3520B lathe. So I must decide which set to buy.

Have any of you used both the Stronghold Jumbo Jaws and the Vicmarc Adjust-Jaws? And if so, which do you prefer?

I will admit I have an uninformed preference but your experience/insight/advice would be very much appreciated.

Vicmarc:vicmarc.jpg Oneway:oneway.jpg

I seem to recall that, at least at one point, you could get extensions for the Vicmarc jaws that would let you get them really big but that no such extensions were available for Oneway's biggest set. My memory could be faulty, however.

I wouldn't mind having a set of jaws that could hold 18"-20" platters if someone actually made them. I may have to just make my own someday. My donut chuck maxes out at ~18".

For me, it all comes down to the buttons - and at that point, it's horses for courses.

I've used both - don't have a preference either way - I own the Oneway and have used the Vicmark version a few times (owned by a friend). They're pretty much identical in use, but I do prefer the shape of the square buttons of the Vicmark version. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference, and it's been a while since I've used any jumbo jaws (I generally prefer vacuum chucks for what I'd do with the jumbo jaws) but, as I recall, they seem to have a larger undercut and the shape seems to allow a greater contact area. I also like the sturdy metal inserts of the Oneway buttons - That said, it's horses for courses - choose whichever on you get a good deal on. I bought the Oneway Jumbo Jaws on clearance several years ago - got a killer deal, so they sit in the drawer awaiting their next use right next to the ones for the Oneway Talon...need to have a garage sale one of these days.

Just a thought, but I should check to see if the Vicmark buttons will fit on the Oneway jaws....

if it comes down to the buttons as the only real, functional difference, I'd say buy the ones that fit the chuck you'll prefer to use the jaws with.

They are almost identical, but I do like the Oneway buttons best, as I have at times stacked them on top of each other to get a grip farther out, just the other day I tripled them, with the metal core going from top to bottom stacked and screwed down, they are sitting solid on top of each other.

Since I have 3 sizes of jumbo and the Mega jumbo jaws, plus a new set of buttons bought recently that were getting rather rough after years of abuse, the old ones are sill good for stacking, so lots of bumpers here

As for extensions, I have a set that I made myself from MDF, have used them, but not very often, as the Mega jumbo jaws are pretty big already, holding up to 15” on the inside of a turning, stacked buttons picture here.

Stacked Oneway buttons.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Save your money and buy a vacuum chuck. Almost any thing that holds a vacuum can be done on a vacuum chuck. Natural edge, square or round. I've used them and felt that the buttons of rubber vibrate. If the bowl is out of round they will most likely launch it. Fugal Vacuum pump is a good value and you can make your own chucks. I've turned a natural edge 23" bowl on a vacuum chuck. I've made vacuum chucks out of plastic pipe, to 2 gallon paint buckets. Just my nickels worth. Keep the change!!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Save your money and buy a vacuum chuck. Almost any thing that holds a vacuum can be done on a vacuum chuck. Natural edge, square or round. I've used them and felt that the buttons of rubber vibrate. If the bowl is out of round they will most likely launch it. Fugal Vacuum pump is a good value and you can make your own chucks. I've turned a natural edge 23" bowl on a vacuum chuck. I've made vacuum chucks out of plastic pipe, to 2 gallon paint buckets. Just my nickels worth. Keep the change!!
    The key words up there are "Almost anything that holds a vacuum". A lot of stuff will not, like bowls and vessels with voids. I've been vacuum chucking for years and am also in the market now for a Jumbo Jaw set.

Come by my shop (the swamp) and I'll give you a set barely used. Gave it away 3 times--keeps coming back. Bought it when Nova introduced the first 4 jaw chuck with many accessories. Used the Jumbo jaws, the 3&4" jaws maybe 3 times each. Extremely time consuming and requires a new$$ chuck to be practical. I turn a few bowls--large-- and mostly vases & urns to 120# green --using several homemade friction chucks. Hollowing to 16-18" using 2'Jaws and heavy glueblocks. Takes a fraction of the time to set up and a proper friction drive makes throwing an entire bowl/vase almost impossible. No comparison if cost is a factor. I probably have 6-8 friction drives with extensions for various lengths. Vacum chucks I an clueless about.

I have a vacuum pump and chucks for it, if I can still find it , as I hardly ever use it, some like it and I don’t.

With returning dried bowls I want to be able to lift one side or the other (I use wedges for that) or hold warped pieces with openings,

Like these bowl that have warped, I can and do adjust the bowl so the are centered exactly on top and bottom by moving and lifting sides, my bowl walls can be thinner (less splitting) this way and I’m still able to return them.
    wedged warped bowl.jpg

All kinds of pieces and sizes can be held and turned in Jumbo jaws and are more securely held against sideway shifting than with a vacuum chuck.
    3 bowl turning.jpg holding different shape.jpg

yes some pieces are OK to hold with a vacuum chuck,but also very easily with the Jumbo jaws.
    Double stack buttons.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 08-30-2016 at 11:32 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Crazy old cajun says there are many ways to skin a nutria rat. If it works, do it.

Okay, as the OP let me admit that I have also studying vacuum chucks and intend to flesh one of those out as well. (I am going to start a separate thread on that!)

Meanwhile I am still interested in acquiring a set of jumbo jaws and thank all for their posts and insights. As always, thanks to Leo for all the descriptive photos.

In my misspent youth (50's) i did make an extension for my Nova jumbo jaws out of Baltic Birch 1/2" plywwod that worked very well for larger bowls. Gave them away also.

Pleeeaasse let us know when you schedule the garage sale . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Agreed Tom. I use both as well.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I agree Bob. I have two sets of jumbo jaws and then spent big bucks on a Longworth chuck. All worked as long as I was supported by the tail stock as long as possible.
    Then with the purchase of a Holdfast vacuum system with two chucks, my jumbo jaws and Longworth have been gathering dust. I realize the vacuum system may not hold everything but so far it's been my go to for finishing bowl bottoms.
    The vacuum system is so much quicker to set up and far more secure. My opinion only.