Thread: What to do when ferrule hits platform?

What to do when ferrule hits platform?

I have a Wolverine setup on my grinder, and I have the regular and mini platform for it. I have a small 1/4" skew that is getting short enough that when I sharpen it the ferrule hits the edge of the mini platform. How do I keep sharpening it when the ferrule restricts movement? I thought I remembered reading a post a few years ago about using a short block of wood on top of the Wolverine platform, but I can't find it and don't remember the details. Thanks.

Freehand, just rest your hands/fingers on the platform.

Tape a narrow scrap of wood thick enough to raise it above the platform.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Per Bob, an appropriately fastened (really fastened) piece of wood will solve your problem, but in the long run having a removable handle is my favorite solution.

Agree with Jamie, you just hit on the number one reason for removable handles.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Removable handles

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    Per Bob, an appropriately fastened (really fastened) piece of wood will solve your problem, but in the long run having a removable handle is my favorite solution.

The sharpening situation is one reason I like the removable handles. Another reason is I can sink the tool as deeply as I like in the handle to leave a shorter extension for small work. A third reason is to make two-ended tools.

These are some I use:
    removable_handle_IMG_5549.jpg

The 1/4" skew in the foreground is ground from a round tool steel rod and has a point tool on the other end.
    The second one is a skew and a box scraper made from a 3/8" square rod.
    The one in the back is a 10" long Thompson spindle gouge sunk 6" into the handle for a short overhang.

The inserts to make these tools are available in a variety of sizes but you can make them. I usually use a metal lathe but I did make one from aluminum on the wood lathe using standard woodturning tools.

Sharpening is easier without the handle. That said, I usually sharpen small skews and scrapers free hand, resting my left hand on the tool rest and using my right forefinger as a stop to keep the distance to the wheel consistent.

JKJ

You could use the Wolverine skew sharpening jig.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    You could use the Wolverine skew sharpening jig.
    Hadn't thought about that, but I'm reluctant to spend the money on it. I have 3 different size skews and I like being able to walk up to the platform and sharpen any of them freehand. With the Wolverine jig I'd be fiddling with it for each skew which would slow me down.

I'm going to look into a piece of wood on top of the platform, or remove the blade from the handle. I like the factory handle, so I might try to convert the ferrule on it.

John where did you get the 1/4" round bar stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    John where did you get the 1/4" round bar stock?
    Pat, I just noticed your question today! Sorry.

I got some pieces of round hardened HSS steel from some friends who probably ordered it through somewhere like Enco. Google shows a number of suppliers, even Walmart on-line. But my favorite round stock is the 10V rod from Doug Thompson, the same steel he uses for his tools. I bought 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" round rods from him. I especially like them for small scrapers.

These are all from Thompson's steel, a round bar, ground from a shallow detail gouge, and from his scraper stock. I use small scrapers like this (and smaller) a lot.

scrapers_small_thompson.jpg

JKJ