Thread: Atkins saw?

Atkins saw?

May not be as sexy as a Brontz or some other high priced saw, but

I bought a taped up bundle of 26" long handsaw...$3 for the three saws. While two seem to be mid 50s Keystone Disstons......the third saw seemed..different. Mainly in the handle areas
    IMAG0001.jpg
    It had a factory paint job....
    IMAG0002.jpg
    It had an embossed checkering, on both sides of the handle..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Medallion says "ATKINS" across the middle, above that is a "Made" and below the Atkins is a "in U S A" bolts are not steel, nor plated brass.
    As for the Disston saws?
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Both are 26" long, straight backed, 9ppi with an "open top" handle....thinking this one Disston might be a Keystone Townsman
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Both of the Disston saws have a Disston USA on their medallions......mid 1950s? Trying to find outmore about the Atkins saw. $1 each, wasn't too hateful....

Blog Entries
    Pete Tartan has been posting here in the Creek recently and he could give me that definitive answer. I believe Atkins manufactured saws in Indianapolis until the early 50s when it was purchased by Borg Warner. They continue to make saws under the Atkins label. I'm guessing your saws from the 1950s and the fasteners are nickel plated.

Best, Mike

Steve, CONGRATS: $3 for 3 handsaws including 2 DISSTONs ..You did well....
    Where did you find these? I used to live in Columbus. curious..Thanks
    Jerry

Sitting on an old farm wagon at a moving sale out side of Bellefontaine....almost to the Ben Logan High School....

Blog Entries
    Nice finds Steven. I like Atkins saws myself, not even sure why. They just seem to work for me. I think the handles are hung a little differently and there may be a little more flexibility in the blades.

I say; If it works for you, go for it. There's no "r" in my last name btw.

Ron,

No R in my last name either. Must be some sort of virus. As to the saws, these are very late production, 70s or even 80s. I've not had much luck with these personally, but then the market is not that great for such a late model saw when others infinitely more comfortable to use are available. Having said that, for $3, I'm sure you will be able to file them and use them to make some dust. I think you will find the hardware on these is plated Aluminum.

Regards,

Pete Taran

Make Allen sold me an Atkins with an apple handle and it's one of the best saws I have even owned. It works extremely well and I offer a recommendation that when he sells saws if you need them to get one. They cut every bit as good as the vintage Disston saws purchased/renewed from Mike. Now what is absolutely my best saw? A Ron Bontz with no "R" in his last name. My first and last names have the letter "R" in them. I thought Pete's did as well. Must be old age.

saw and drill tils.jpg
    Behind all the drills and clamps there are a few full sized saws.....couple D-8,a couple D-7s and a No.7, a few D-23s. Between the drills and the clamps is a K-6-1/2 Rip and a No. 4 backsaw. A few others are back there as well The two BID backsaws are No.4s 5" x 28" for the mitre box. There is an 18" backsaw for a smaller mitrebox, as well. Might need a few more hooks to hang saws with?

BTW: Inside Tool Chest #2's lid, there hangs a very early D (no hyphen)8 and a Atkins Ship saw.....
    tool chest #2 opened.jpg