Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Naps.....Who Takes Them??

"elderly fifties" ??? that is young. I'm 63 and might consider something like that when I'm "older" in another 30 years or so.

No matter how old you are, if you work hard, a good nap will probably follow. I'm only 17 and after a nice days work, I enjoy a nap sometimes. Both of my parents are at work for ten hours a day for five days a week, and I have an acre's worth of garden to tend to, donkeys, chickens, dogs, and fish to feed, school to do, brother to cook for(and I'll do home cooking you want believe), clothes and dishes to wash, and if that house ain't clean by the time they get home there won't be any naps to be had. In addition, I still fill and sell woodworking orders since I don't get money from the daily chores listed above. I'll tell you what, that list is greatly shortened in the winter, some stuff added, but shorter so I live for winter. There's not much better than napping in front of a fireplace that's burning wood you harvested in the summer, after you've eaten food that you harvested in the summer.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    "elderly fifties" ??? that is young. I'm 63 and might consider something like that when I'm "older" in another 30 years or so.
    Greg,

You have me by a decade. I heard one of the undergraduates describe me as an elderly professor to another student; quite humorous.

Reality is the miserable moments between naps.

The things I wake up and find... Good thing I read this after my nap. Might have ruined it.

-Tom

I've gotten into the habit of napping after I put my son down for his nap, while I sit on the couch with my daughter watching cartoons. Usually ends up as a 10 minute nap and after I wake and shake it off I feel much better. My 3 year old has been waking me up 1-3 times a night for about a year, and my son has been getting up at 5:30-6.

If I can grab 15-20 minutes of shut-eye during my lunch hour, it's glorious. Unfortunately, most evenings I also doze off in front of the TV early, then spend 2-3 hours awake in the middle of the night before grabbing a couple more hours of sleep. Seems I just can't put together more than about 5 consecutive hours of sleep, but I need about 7 per day on average (I can go a week or so on a lower average, but then I'll have to do some catch-up).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

This is a great thread. I love a power nap at lunch. I tilt my chair all the way back put my ball cap on my eyes and get 10-15. Once past 10 minutes I get in the zone of too much not enough sleep to feel rested. I don't do it everyday though I wish I could. Sometimes I'll take a 10 minute at home right after work. (Usually on Thursdays b/c I'm wearing out for the week)

This does lead me to a question though. For those that take naps during lunch. Is there anything wrong with taking it at your desk during normal lunch time? One co-worker seems to think it's the absolute worst but she's a pretty dramatic person. To me the logic of not really going anywhere is worth it. I don't waste fuel sitting in my truck and running the A/C or heat and I save time by not walking through the shop to get to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I can nap only if I'm down with a bad cold or the flu, I never nap otherwise. I can't sleep on a plane either.
    I'm the same way. Doesn't matter if I've been up for 24 hrs, I can't sleep on a plane. Flew to Tokyo once for work. 14 hr flight. Wide awake for the whole trip..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I take naps quite often. But then, thanks to my illness, I can't really help but take them because I tire so easily.
    I'm the same way. Some days I'm lucky to make it to 12 noon.
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 09-01-2016 at 2:36 PM.

No naps for me. I feel worse afterward...and it's always been that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No naps for me. I feel worse afterward...and it's always been that way.
    Jim, as you get old you sleep less at night; perhaps then you'll be able to take little naps. Strange thing is that yesterday I asked an classroom of undergraduates how many of them napped during the day. It was 25 of 27 who napped. I was envious.

Nope - no more naps for me.
    I was taking one when I first retired & I attribute much of the 100 pounds I gained to my napping.

For the last month I've been getting up @ 3:45 am and hitting the swimming pool at 5:00 then back home around 7:00.
    I doze off in the evening (6:00 pm-ish) and usually get up at 10:00 pm to take my medication, then back up the next morning at 3:45.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Naps, never. A nap in the afternoon an I'm groggy the rest of the day.

I usually get 4-6 hrs sleep and if I do nap for even a short time I'll be up all night.

But we are all different.

JKJ

Some days in the afternoon around 4 I'll nap for 45 min to an hour. little groggy when I wake up but it pass's and then I'm good to go till 10 or 11 pm
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander