Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "The NEW Powermatic CNC for the true craftsman"

Art Mann makes some good points about WinCNC, which controls my Camaster. I can preview the router's motion on the machine bed, see where the xy zero point is set, edit the toolpath, adjust the default settings/limits, adjust the feed speeds on screen while cutting, save a number of home positions for various jobs and restart at any point a cut file that has been shut down for whatever reason. I am not sure how much of those capabilities are available with the hand-held controllers. I have my CAD/CAM program loaded on the same PC, so I can make basic toolpath changes right in the shop (though I typically do the design elsewhere and transfer the files via thumbdrive). .

I don't worry too much about dust messing up the PC, just keep it out of the dust stream and keep the filter clean. I also keep it off the net unless absolutely necessary.

Regarding the Maslow referenced by William Adams, it is interesting for sure as an ultra low $ DIY kit, but not even vaguely in the same category as the PM/Axiom machines under discussion.

Cnc cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Steve, not counting the rather expensive casters, I made my table for a couple hundred bucks while I waited for delivery. I located the PC inside it to protect it from dust. I mounted a USB port ,on the front of the cabinet so I never need to open the cabinet door. There's enough air volume inside the base that the PC never gets hot.

Having never used the A11 controller, I can't make a comparison between it and WinCNC. I can say as a retired machinist with experience going back to the "NC" days - prior to CNC, that the WinCNC package is very good.
    Bruce would you tell me how large the spaces you have your computers in and whether it's 1 or 2 or three computers they say copying somebody is a Compliment I really like the base you made
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Thanks, John. It's basically the whole volume inside the cabinet for a single PC. The PC sits just inside the door. I ran a 15' video cable from the PC to the monitor/keyboard cart that sits nearby. The CNC controller box sits in a cubby at the front to the table.

My table, with a few modifications, was designed by a chap named Mick Martin. I can send you a PDF copy of his instructions if you want to shoot me a PM with your email address.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The machine is a clone to the Axiom AR8 Pro. Made in the same factory. One thing I see different is the VFD controller is 1.5KV, not the same as the Axiom. With 1.5, I don't see how the spindle can really be 3 H.P. The Axiom is a 2.2 KV with a 3 HP spindle. Otherwise a real solid machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    $8500 for a 2X4. That's the PM I come to expect these days. At least they give you a small spindle.
    3HP is not small!

Doug, you make an excellent point about the controllers which I have never given any thought to before. Thank you for educating me. You say the AXIOM controller is an inexpensive Chinese model so I wonder if Powermatic used their controller too? But my question then becomes, How do you know what a good controller is? Certainly, you can't measure it by watts, amps, or horsepower so what form of measurement do you use?

Good question Gary, I've been trying to figure this out too!

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Nice looking machine and very similar to the Axiom Precision sold thru Rockler.
    </p>
    <p>
    Rockler also sells the Powermatic CNC. I asked out local Rockler store manager if he was ever going to get one in and he said, NO, it was too much money to tie up in inventory. I told him&nbsp;I wouldn&#39;t buy one without being able to see it in person and to get a demo. (This is also known as a Mexican stand-off where there are no winners.)</p>
    Last edited by Gary Iseli; 11-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.

The Powermatic CNC was designed by a US company (Kaber Technologies) who OEMed some of the basic operating components from AXIOM. There is generally a perception that all products made in China are of lower quality but that is not the case here. The AXIOM components are very heavy duty and the 3HP water-cooled spindle is likewise. Powermatic backs this up with a 5-year warranty which is unheard of in the industry. https://www.behance.net/gallery/4740...tic-CNC-Design
    By the way, if you think Chinese products are cheap, please tell me where you TV was made and is it cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Iseli View Post
    The Powermatic CNC was designed by a US company (Kaber Technologies) who OEMed some of the basic operating components from AXIOM. There is generally a perception that all products made in China are of lower quality but that is not the case here. The AXIOM components are very heavy duty and the 3HP water-cooled spindle is likewise. Powermatic backs this up with a 5-year warranty which is unheard of in the industry. https://www.behance.net/gallery/4740...tic-CNC-Design
    By the way, if you think Chinese products are cheap, please tell me where you TV was made and is it cheap?

I cant phathom how a machine that runs through several hands would be the choice but I know some love the gold paint. Its just my opinion and my opinion only, but there are simply too may other really impressive options for far more robust machines out there that will give far more bang for your buck AND you'll buy a machine that supports a domestic manufacturer. I have nothing whatsoever against the Chinese. They have a Naval fleet, a space program, they have some of the most advanced glaziers and glazing process in the world. The reason they get sold down the river and ship cheap junk to the US is because thats exactly what the buyers demand of them to support cheap US consumers as well as corporate profit margins. They have the capabilities to ship us the most advanced products if we would only pay for them (TV's are a pitiful example as they are not advanced anymore until your on the cutting edge of the newest tech). But then they wouldnt be the cheapest option anymore. Ask any high rise construction firm if Chinese glazing is the cheapest on the market. Its not, but its often times used because of its advancements.

All that aside, the issue is PM is not "making" anything. There are dozens of options for much more robust machines from manufacturers in the US and outside the US that ARE "making" things.

Mark, I agree with your comments.

So, the question is what machines would you recommend for a 36" x 24" router?

Accuracy is important to me, I'm currently using a tiny (12" x 10") Techno Davinci with upgraded drivers and controller, but it's extremely accurate with ball screws and linear guides.

Well reluctant to say because Ive been chastised before and may be deleted but Shopsabre has a 30x40 machine, ball screw, 600ipm, .001 accuracy machine, and Im sure Camaster, as well as Gary Campbell can offer their own advice as well as options on many other.

Sorry, but getting into machine specifics, brands, and so on seems to be a really touchy subject here. You even see small options from companies like velox though I have no idea about the specs and am always suspect with retailer based options.

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Mark, I agree with your comments.

So, the question is what machines would you recommend for a 36" x 24" router?

Accuracy is important to me, I'm currently using a tiny (12" x 10") Techno Davinci with upgraded drivers and controller, but it's extremely accurate with ball screws and linear guides.

A good controller should provide inputs (buttons, dials) for controlling the basic setup and "run" functions of the machine with as few hiccups as possible. A good pendant should allow you to work at the machine rather than having to go back and forth to the computer to adjust things like feedrates, rotation speed, start/stop/pause, setting the surface, setting home(s), jogging, parking, etc.

It seems you can get most all of that functionality from any PC based control with simple key programmable wireless hand pad or game controller.

True - the one caveat being "with as few hiccups as possible". Not all off the shelf pendants can be seamlessly integrated with some PC controllers. Some work better than others.