Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The NEW Powermatic CNC for the true craftsman"

Richard:
    There is a Axiom machine at my local Rockler that I have actually been able to use. The machine is rock Solid and there is zero play in the X,Y or Z axis. The machine runs quite well. I actually ordered a A6 the day I returned my HD4 Shark. The big problem I have is Axiom has no machines to ship. I have already waited a month and am now being told I would have to wait till the end of May, for a total of 3 months. I started looking at the PM CNC because they actually have them in stock.
    Axiom even told me that the PM is made by them for PM or at lease made in the same factory.I have not been able to actually look at the PM, but downloading their manual, the components are the same as Axiom, with a different cabinet and base for the actual machine. The Powermatic does look like a nice machine and comes with a 5 year warranty. I really think that is saying Powermatic will stand behind their machine.

Steve, not counting the rather expensive casters, I made my table for a couple hundred bucks while I waited for delivery. I located the PC inside it to protect it from dust. I mounted a USB port on the front of the cabinet so I never need to open the cabinet door. There's enough air volume inside the base that the PC never gets hot.

Having never used the A11 controller, I can't make a comparison between it and WinCNC. I can say as a retired machinist with experience going back to the "NC" days - prior to CNC, that the WinCNC package is very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No I do not have one. I build/retrofit my own cnc routers/mill/lathe/printer/soon plasma from scratch (several machines now). I am just questioning PMs 5 year warranty and what that really means for supporting the user. Editing ini and cfg files is typical of using a system like is supported on their pendant. I have a similar one I implemented on my 3d Printer I built. Decoupled is nice. In my case though I know the other half of the pendant and code though too. PM is trying a KISS approach to their machine. When it works it prob works great. Its when it does not or you want to add enhancements that you will get frustrated. I too would like to play with one but have zero interest in owning one.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm working with a tiny 20yr old Techno Davinci that I upgraded with a Gecko G540 and Mach3. This is my first and only cnc experience, I'm hoping that either the RichAuto or WinCNC would be a big improvement over Mach. I can get it to do what I need, but it seems unstable and flakey at times...

I'd be tempted to try to build or upgrade to get a bigger machine, but I can't afford the time, I'm way behind in work, and will probably never catch up after all the time it took to get me and the Davinci up to speed. Have to wait til I have some $$ put aside, in the meantime I'm trying to acquire knowledge so I can make good decisions.

Wow, 200 IPM rapid travel speed!!!! I cut at 200 IPM on my HOME BUILT machine.

The thing is way, way, way over priced.

The write up is like something a romance novel writer wannabe would dream up. Eloquent....What is "eloquent" about it? It is very old technology. "Unrivaled design"???? Looks like any number of designs I have seen over the last 20 years.

PM cnc

The Pm is very similar to Axiom. Powermatic is looking to get into the cnc market looking even to 8'x16' units. Since they had no previous experience they opted to partner. The base cabinet is fully enclosed unlike the axiom. The base frame is enclosed unlike the axiom.The cnc/spindle are the same as the axiom.The control cabinet is different. There are a number of features that are pre-built into the controller that are currently not accessible (speed control and a few others not disclosed). The wiring harness includes the cables and a third connector on the rear of the frame (this does not show up in any of the manuals) for a future 4th axis.They had looked at providing an option for vacuum table but decided to hold off for the bigger future units. A email sent late afternoon got a prompt "please call, let's talk" The unit is packed well and goes together easily. There is a built in spoilboard routine. The 2x4 unit comes with four hold downs and dust boot. It moves around easily on the casters despite its weight. The instructions call for the tool cabinet to be screwed to the two support rails but there are not any predrilled hose for it. Tech support said that they changed the design and just recommends using double sided tape so that unit can be easier to remove. In an a/c space the unit was run overnight without the spindle getting warm. The local woodcraft has one on display. Once powered up and following the instructions in it went right to leveling the spoilboard. No hiccups. It just works like I have come to expect of PM tools. This makes the 15th PM tool for me.

Congrats Rob! Can you post a few pics of your new machine?

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Congrats Rob! Can you post a few pics of your new machine?
    Will take some tonight and post tomorrow. Will show the inside of the controller box as well.

Powermatic 2x4SP CNC

Some photos of the PM 2x4sp:

Shipping container and overall pictures of unit.

--More to follow:

Detail Photos of Gantry: Right side (metal cover removed), Left side (metal cover removed), servo/spindle mount (cover removed) and cooling system (cover removed):

PM 2x4sp

More photos: Table top/spoil board and underside of table

PM 2x4sp

More Photos: Misc. Connectors on rear (connector on left is for future 4th axis), sensor, controller, dust boot (bristles have magnetic attachment for easy removal during bit changes.)

More Pictures:
    In picture 5 you can see the ref to C-axis, In picture 6 you can see the extra connector for 4th axis and the space for the card.

Very nice Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Is this your first CNC? The build quality, castings, etc., look excellent. I like the aluminum table. I have thought about doing something similar with my Stinger. How heavy/thick is it?
    Is there some sort of alarm if the cooling system stops flowing? I have read of them failing and frying the spindle. Is the spindle RPM software controlled or do you use the VFD?
    What design software will you be using?

Keep us informed on how you like it as you get up to speed with it.

Ps, I think you need more Bessey's.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Very nice Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Is this your first CNC? The build quality, castings, etc., look excellent. I like the aluminum table. I have thought about doing something similar with my Stinger. How heavy/thick is it?
    Is there some sort of alarm if the cooling system stops flowing? I have read of them failing and frying the spindle. Is the spindle RPM software controlled or do you use the VFD?
    What design software will you be using?

Keep us informed on how you like it as you get up to speed with it.

Ps, I think you need more Bessey's.
    Yes first CNC.
    Hard to tell the actual weight of table, guessing 1-1/2" thick, can measure.
    No, alarm on cooling.
    Spindle RPM at VFD, but PM TECH indicated they have it built-in but not currently accessible.
    Starting off with Vcarve Pro 8.5. Will upgrade to Aspire if I find the need.

Bessey's in the picture is about a 1/4 of the total....