Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra fine ceramic stone produces sharper edge than 6000 grit water stone

Ultra fine ceramic stone produces sharper edge than 6000 grit water stone

The title says it all,pretty much. I was experimenting with a 6000 grit water stone I had bought. First,I used my coarse,white and ultra fine white ceramic stones to produce an edge that would easily shave. Then,I tried a 6000 grit water stone I had bought. It lost the sharp edge I had gotten on my knife. I went back to the ultra fine Spyderco,and the shaving edge returned.

I'm not sure if the Spyderco is actually finer,or just harder,which causes it in effect to have a finer surface. But,the Spyderco will out sharpen the 6000 grit water stone. And,I haven't even gotten rid of the somewhat "toothed" feeling surface of the UF stone as cut at the factory. Ceramic stones being so hard,it will take some time to finally wear off the fine grinding marks on the surface of the UF stone.

I did take a few licks on my MDF with green LV compound on it,but only AFTER I had already gotten the shaving edge from just the stone.

OH NO!!!!!! I have just started ANOTHER sharpening thread!!!!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-01-2016 at 4:35 PM.

George! I can't believe you've gone and done this.

George, George, George.............. I'm begging you on bended knees to stop the madness.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    George! I can't believe you've gone and done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    George, George, George.............. I'm begging you on bended knees to stop the madness.

But wait! Breaking news that rocks the Neander-galoot world . . . Ancient scrolls discovered at the bottom of the Hudson Bay reveal that sun-dried pig skin rubbed with buffalo snot produces the finest possible edge.

Now who's your Daddy?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I hate myself!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I hate myself!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Now who's your Daddy?
    Sputter! spit! ack! Coffee all over the monitor again.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-01-2016 at 9:13 PM.

I deserve all the grief that may now be heaped upon me!!!!

It's cool with me George,
    At least I can read your Op without putting sticks in my eyelids to keep them open.

Aj

I hate myself!!!!!
    He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself. It's an occupational hazard :-).

So in the interests of prolonging your self-loathing, which #6000 waterstone did you use? There's a pretty large range of grit sizes across vendors, after all.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-02-2016 at 1:43 AM.

Indeed have I a point to make. I pray ye woodworkers,waste not thy hard won coin upon a King 6000 grit stone. Tis not a King,but indeed a Knave ! T'will soon wear hollow and useless,like a weak and unfaithful servant,and indeed will shortly be gone from thee,and will leave thee in a most wretched state,thy unhoned tools laying supine and useless upon thy bench. And nere will it make thy chisel sharp as will the faithful Spyderco Ultra Fine. The very name doth ring true! And,it may be had for the same coin as the wretched King stone. But stone being a misnomer indeed for this faithless block. Tis more like mud cobbled together craftily and in the night by the hands of men who would deceive thee and steal from thy pockets and rob thee of thy tool specie. Spurn it. Get thee hence from it in all haste! Let not the golden color tempt thy eyes! Nor the smoothness deceive thy fingertips!

Rather,buy and clutch unto thy breast a true friend, an Ultra Fine Spyderco stone. Drop it not,I pray ye,for it is that faithful stone's only fault. Yet,for the King stone tis a fault even greater! Twill surely shatter into dust if dropped! Yea,verily,thy Spyderco will make thy tools sharp even to shave thy beard with. And will ne'er grow hollow nor wear down to naught,being like so much mud to make thy bench unclean,and thus unfit for man nor beast to find use thereof,and only making filthy the wood which thee layest upon it. Thus will it dull twice thy tools,the deceitful King stone.

Tis not a sharpening thread. Yet a warning and an advice to those who would buy stones to hone their tools upon. From he who strayed from the flock. And does still rue the day that he did thus.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-02-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Don't listen to them George, keep posting!

I bought a spyderco some months back, but I have not yet put it to use or checked it for flat.

Indeed have I a point to make. I pray ye woodworkers,waste not thy hard won coin upon a King 6000 grit stone. Tis not a King,but indeed a Knave ! T'will will soon wear hollow and useless,like a weak and unfaithful servant,and indeed will soon be gone from thee,and will leave thee in a most wretched state,thy unhoned tools laying supine and useless upon thy bench. [snip]
    Very, very, VERY nicely done.

A true and constant tale of I,who have been saddened and chastened by the sight,in my inner eye, of my $50.00 going down the porcelain oasis. Indeed swirling,at a speed most indecent,down the greedy maw of the Bomb Bay Bowl.

So,Dear Reader,I exhort you,do entreat you: be faithful and chastened to the ceramic stones,should you have been using them. Stray not. Welcome into the ranks of thy Spydercos the Ultra Fine. Listen not to the Syrene call of the King stone,beckoning forth in its golden color,like some painted woman. Shun it
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks George, your soliloquy hath produced upon my face a smile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My UF Spyderco has sat unused on the shelf since i purchased the DMT Extra Extra fine diamond stone (8000 grit). No need to worry about dropping it unless it lands on your foot
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work