Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1900's saw sharpening

Patrick,

I can tell you are a big baseball fan. The Tribe has been leading the division for over two months which includes a 14 game winning streak, the longest in baseball this year. Drop a note if the Giants ever take a lead in the west.
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 09-04-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Patrick,

I can tell you are a big baseball fan. The Tribe has been leading the division for over two months which includes a 14 game winning streak, the longest in baseball this year. Drop a note if the Giants ever take a lead in the west.
    You're right, I don't follow baseball that closely, though I knew they were doing really well this year.

Your previous post was such a perfect setup that I was compelled to take the bait anyway (esp. the bit about setting up shop on that porch in the LF corner, since that would imply that the HRs aren't exactly raining down). Also we're talking about a team that's historically been so thoroughly mired in futility that there's a (fine, nay Oscar-worthy) movie about it.

I promise to work on my self-control :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    On a more serious note, I am paying attention to his pose. He is sharpening the saw to his side rather than right in front of him. His left arm is draped over the saw vise, and I presume the saw file is held in a special grip in his right hand that we can't see. I am guessing that this is a comfortable way to do it for him, which makes me wonder if all the sharpeners I've seen do it are doing things the hard way.
    Do you think his sawvise is attached to the small bench he is sitting on, or is he using a butt clamp to hold it in place? It looks like a very intelligent, lightweight, and efficient way of combining a sawvice (sic), workbench, work chair, office, and storefront. If he combined it with a bicycle to haul his workshop, office, and tools around, with a pedal-driven grinder attached, he could sharpen a wide range of tools.

A beautiful grinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im0TFh9fc-Q

The precision of this grinder is astounding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx_PkNIfK4

That might be Mike Allen's dad.

Those kids are easilly entertained too.

I was at the Boston Public Market last weekend and saw a woman with a jig fastened to a small steel cart sharpening knives. Didn't even have a stall just that tiny push cart. It was a simple un-powered jig with some type of file or perhaps abrasive rod that did the sharpening. This picture reminded me of her.

110414_knives_060.jpg
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Patrick,

In case you missed it, the Indians are headed to the World Series!!!!!

Go Tribe!

OT Content: Indians sometimes made saws out of pieces of knapped flint.

Patrick,

Go Tribe!

I was wondering when you'd come back to this. I kind of expected to see this thread revived when the Cubs bounced the Giants out last week :-).

Patrick,

Go Tribe!

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. If it's any reassurance, the statisticians at fivethirtyeight say it wasn't quite as epic a collapse as Billy Buckner and his 86 BoSox.

The Cubs deserved to lose after they wasted Chapman in Game 6 like that, though.

OT Content: Corking a bat requires some hand work (yes, that is a cheap Albert Belle joke).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-03-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Patrick,

Touche. I somehow missed the SF Giants in this year's fall classic. Was it perhaps on in a parallel universe?

OT Content: I'm sure corked bats are legal in a parallel universe.

Touche. I somehow missed the SF Giants in this year's fall classic. Was it perhaps on in a parallel universe?
    Yeah, they had the misfortune of meeting the Cubs a couple rounds earlier. Admittedly the Indians hung in there longer.