Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1900's saw sharpening

1900's saw sharpening

I was watching a documentary on Penn Station in New York when this image was shown so i captured a screen shot and thought you folks might like it

1900 saw sharp.jpg

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Very nice.... looks like he has three more saws to work on.... or has he finished three (on the ground next to him).

So many travelers took their saws with them when going on a train. Possibly to saw themselves from the wreckage should there be a terrible crash. Therefore,having this handy service available is a benefit that many availed themselves of.

But,the saws kept sawing their clothing,or the clothing of those close to them. The practice of carrying saws about on trains was discontinued,and lost to history.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-02-2016 at 10:37 AM.

I tried to enlarge the saw vice

1900 saw sharp2.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

He's got a real intense look!

In the city where I grew up the. Person we called the scissor man came by the house, as did the egg man and the vegetable man and others. My mom would have him do her sewing scissors. He did sharpen anything with an edge. I would look in the back of his van and watch him sharpen my moms scissors. He always had saws, sickles and an occasional reel type mower in the van.
    Jim

Most of these itinerate sharpeners would hand you back a knife,sharp,but ruined,the temper having been hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Most of these itinerate sharpeners would hand you back a knife,sharp,but ruined,the temper having been hurt.
    That's why they were called " I TIN er rate"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    I tried to enlarge the saw vice

1900 saw sharp2.jpg
    Compulsive sharpening of anything (saws included) is indeed a vice, but we 'mericans call that that thing he's using a vise.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

That's ok ,Patrick. Winton used to be the vise viceroy. Glad he had an apprentice!

I doubt that this humble man thought he deserved guru status because he could sharpen a saw! How things have declined in this modern age!!!

And, to think,he worked all those years to get a sit down job....

On a more serious note, I am paying attention to his pose. He is sharpening the saw to his side rather than right in front of him. His left arm is draped over the saw vise, and I presume the saw file is held in a special grip in his right hand that we can't see. I am guessing that this is a comfortable way to do it for him, which makes me wonder if all the sharpeners I've seen do it are doing things the hard way.

I sometimes set up my sharpening bench up on the home run porch at Progressive Field while watching the Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I sometimes set up my sharpening bench up on the home run porch at Progressive Field while watching the Indians.
    Do you do that to avoid actually having to watch the Indians?

I imagine you have to pack it up when the visiting team is batting, though.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-04-2016 at 8:13 PM.