Thread: In addition to the 75

Blog Entries

In addition to the 75

In addition to the Stanley 75 we were talking about in another string, I have three planes that are a joy to use.
    This is something of a gloat. The planes are a LN 60 1/2, LN140, and a Veritas Apron Plane. They do the intended job each and every time I use them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-02-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    In addition to the Stanley 75 we were talking about in another string, I have three planes that are a joy to use.
    This is something of a gloat. The planes are a LN 60 1/2, LN140, and a Veritas Apron Plane. They do the intended job each and every time I use them.
    Are you implying that the 75 is a joy to use?

I have the Apron plane, and reach for it often. I have the Veritas Low-angle block (60-1/2 equivalent) and Skew Blocks (140 equivalent). Those are also really nice planes, and the LABP sees a lot of use. I wouldn't describe the skew blocks as "everyday" planes, though they're probably my most-used flush cutting planes, more so than the skew rabbets or jack rabbets.

Blog Entries
    Properly set up, the 75 does a job difficult to do with other planes. Removing one side of slot cut in a door for glass is one I remember. In making my front door I had three leaded glass inserts. I had plowed a slot and I needed to remove one side of the plow in order to insert the panels. IIRC, I planed it smooth with an apron plane and finished it with the 75. It was clumsy, but affective.

At that time, it was a joy to use because I was able to accomplish the task.NEWDOOR (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-03-2016 at 9:42 AM.

Bullnose planes have a place, and you've described one such use. I do find other bullnose planes than the 75 easier to use; but you play the music with the instruments you brung.

Blog Entries
    I ordered a Woodstock D3750 bull nose plane this morning. I don't expect to use the 75 anymore.

Another plane that I find pleasing to use and just remembered because I used it this morning is the flat Veritas squirrel-tail (basically a Little Victor with a squirrel tail). IMO the form factor is really nice for things like quick-and-dirty chamfering.

I realize that this is a fairly ideosyncratic preference, though.

Blog Entries
    I have the new Stanley 60 1/2 plane as well as the Woodstock version of the 60 1/2. IMO, the Woodstock is a better plane. I get better translucent shavings with it and it has no vices that I have found.

Woodstock is more expensive than the Stanley offerings but much less than the Lie Nielsen (which I love).

I ordered a Woodstock D3750 bull nose plane this morning. I don't expect to use the 75 anymore.
    I didn't know Woodstock was making planes!
    330px-Woodstock.png

Lowell, will you please let us know how the woodstock performs compared to the 75, once you have a chance to use it a bit? The reviews I read are a mixed bag. It would be good to read a review from one of our own.

Thank you!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-03-2016 at 7:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can find them on Amazon.

Blog Entries
    Fred,

The Woodstock D3750 bull nose plane was delivered about 60 minutes ago. I wiped all of the lubricant that was a corrosion inhibitor off of the plane, took 4 strokes on a fine diamond hone.

I ripped a rabbet on a piece of a stud about 12" long and dressed the rabbet with the plane. I immediately was rewarded with translucent full width shavings. I had purposely left a small ridge in the corner of the rabbet which was removed instantly and the rabbet was the quality I was looking for.

I am basing my evaluation on the ease that I was able to dis-assemble the plane, wipe the rust proofing off, assemble the plane, rip a rabbet in a 2x4 scrap, and make a very good rabbet.

That's what I bought it for.

I'm not ready to overly praise Shop Fox, but I have two planes they made and I am happy with both. They have solid feel when I pick them up and produce continuous, translucent shavings.

I bought both planes from Amazon.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-06-2016 at 1:46 PM.

Fred,

The Woodstock D3750 bull nose plane was delivered about 60 minutes ago. I wiped all of the lubricant that was a corrosion inhibitor off of the plane, took 4 strokes on a fine diamond hone.

I ripped a rabbet on a piece of a stud about 12" long and dressed the rabbet with the plane. I immediately was rewarded with translucent full width shavings. I had purposely left a small ridge in the corner of the rabbet which was removed instantly and the rabbet was the quality I was looking for.

I am basing my evaluation on the ease that I was able to dis-assemble the plane, wipe the rust proofing off, assemble the plane, rip a rabbet in a 2x4 scrap, and make a very good rabbet.

That's what I bought it for.

I'm not ready to overly praise Shop Fox, but I have two planes they made and I am happy with both. They have solid feel when I pick them up and produce continuous, translucent shavings.

I bought both planes from Amazon.

Thank you Lowell!
    Fred
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-06-2016 at 1:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    One more piece of information about Shop Fox, apparently some of their tools are made in India.

I tools I reviewed are high quality in appearance and the machining is good.