Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advise on New Workbench

Patrick,

When you say tail vise, I think you are talking about an end vise, correct?

I think a good combination is a 10-12 inch quick release endvise. I have a Rockler model that has served me well and is very easy to install.

For your face vise, two schools of thought here and it depends somewhat on the brand of vise you use:

1. surface mount
    2. mortice the inner face into the apron to make the whole inner aspect flush with apron. It would be quite easy to add an apron to your bench to accomplish this. I would simply use screws and plugs. There are pros and cons to both.

Just make sure you locate the face vise in an optimal position on your bench. If right handed, a good position is 2-3 feet from the left.

Here is a pic of my utility bench. The face vise should be closer to the left side.
    Workbench Finished3.jpg

Robert, he references the Veritas inset and QR tail vises. Those are both true tail/wagon style; not end vises.

Hello,
    One more question on my bench design. I have been reviewing bench designs and I have a question on the overhang on each side of the bench legs and the placement of the face vise. I am thinking my bench will be 60 inches in length and 24 inches in depth and about 30" in height. To start, I plan to only install a front vise and then I will later decide if I want an inset vise or end vise (or maybe no vise on the end.)

So regarding placement of the front vise, I have seen front vises install in two ways...

1. With the legs out towards the left end of the bench and the front vise installed to the right or inside of the left front leg.

2. With the top mounted with an overhang to the left of the left side legs and the vise mounted to the left of those legs under the overhang of the top.

So, are one of these installations preferable for stability and use?

Example of option #1...

i-Pzpx9xz.jpg

Example of option 2...
    i-ZTLx2fX.jpg

I am wondering if option 1 would be more stable for planing than option 2 because you are essentially planing into the leg whereas option 2 the forces are almost down into open space and that energy would be transferred in a manner that would stress the top more. Not sure if that makes sense but I would appreciate comments on this.

And one more thing, are there any guidelines regarding what percentage of your bench top length should be between the legs?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't answer your questions except to recommend that you leave enough overhang (from leg to end of bench) to allow for an end vise. I didn't, so I'm faced with either a small vise, or insetting it 4-5" to clear the leg.