• Its a chore, but I put the same effort into as the rest of the project

48 45.28%
  • Hate it, but I put the same effort into it as the rest of the project

29 27.36%
  • Hate it; do the minimum necessary to get by

10 9.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: attitudes towards sanding/finishing

I'm well into this stage right now on my (seemingly) never ending bunk bed project. I don't know which process is more frustrating and revealing of one's own failings as a woodworker--glue-ups or finish work. I managed to get past the glue-up stage in this project (94 M&T joints didn't make it easy) with my dignity and self-respect intact, only to find myself questioning my very existence now that I'm seeing where I clearly didn't spend as much time sanding as the LOML wanted me to think I did. Dark stain on prime ash can be a brutal and revealing experience.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-07-2016 at 1:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I didn't see a choice to vote for:
    I'd rather gargle ground glass than sand & finish anything....
    ...or, "I'd rather chew on tinfoil and shave my head with a cheese grater" - Sam Malone (Cheers)

I am trying to learn to love it or at least tolerate it which makes me wonder if I should take up carpentry as a hobby

Invest in a good ROS and good dust collection, and it becomes "less" of a chore.

Also, becoming conversant with a smoothing plane can eliminate a lot of the sanding required at lower grits. I still sand with higher grits to remove track marks and pesky tear out.

The only saving grace about sanding is that it's immediately followed by that first coat of finish which is the BEST part of a project.

Red face

Sanding? What is this "sanding" you speak of? I handplane all my surfaces. I don't even mind a little tear out, frankly. One, I'm not that anal about such things. And two, I think it makes my projects -look- like they are hand done. This, of course is a -very- personal viewpoint, and I never judge others based on it. (Ok, maybe just a little... :-) ) For one thing, I can't even hold a ROS any more, my hands won't tolerate it at all. And for another thing, I actually prefer the subtle look of a planed surface, rather than the perfect smoothness of a sanded one.

i do own a sanding block. And some sandpaper. I believe it is the same paper I bought 10 years ago.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 09-08-2016 at 4:10 PM.
    Paul

Did it for years and worked my self up the corporate ladder to $8.50 an hour.