48 45.28%
  • Hate it, but I put the same effort into it as the rest of the project

29 27.36%
  • Hate it; do the minimum necessary to get by

10 9.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attitudes towards sanding/finishing

attitudes towards sanding/finishing

Just wondering how you guys feel about the last couple stages of a project; sanding and staining/overcoating...

My father who taught woodworking for 42 years always said that 90% of the apparent quality of a piece was generated by the last 10% of the effort - sanding and finishing. I always listened to my father!!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

While what Jerry's father stated is obviously what puts the final result, "finishing" actually starts immediately when you are choosing the material for your project. Very careful attention to final smoothing and then application of the various finishing steps is what first comes to mind...and it's extremely important...but those efforts will not "shine mightily" if you haven't put care into everything prior to that. Mismatched grain and color will never look great even with the best machining/joining/sanding/scraping you can do and the most awesome application of the most expensive finish you can obtain.

I personally enjoy all phases of a project, from conception through finishing and then installation where the piece is going to live. Just today I brought my latest project to where it's ready for those "last" steps...final sanding and then finishing. And I'm looking forward to that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My favorite part of the project. I drop it off at the finisher's, he mails me an invoice.

I find that it takes me 1 1/2 to finish sand my lathe projects as it does to turn them.
    Joe

With the advent of dustless sanding, decent waterborne finishes and HVLP sprayers it's not quite as bad as it used to be.

Still enjoy the occasional rub n' buff finishing though.

I didn't see a choice to vote for:
    I'd rather gargle ground glass than sand & finish anything....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

As Jim said, finishing begins when the job begins. That aside, I enjoy sanding and polishing. I have had the luxury for most of my working life of being paid to do all stages of a project including finishing. I have sanded and finished everything from salt cellars to the largest industrial structures you can imagine and it is all good work. I am not bothered by the odours of hydrocarbon finishes and never have been. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I didn't see a choice to vote for:
    I'd rather gargle ground glass than sand & finish anything....
    This. I loathe it. Though I have to say after finally investing in better sanding equipment and dust control I loathe it slightly less.

I whole heartedly agree with the above that it is the most important part. We can slave and obsess over the joinery (which is what I enjoy) and much as we want but the reality is 99% of people that come in contact with our creations won't care about that. They'll look at it and if we did our jobs well they'll want to touch it. But they'll give almost no regard to anything other than the finished product as perceived through the quality of the finish.

I enjoy mindless sanding with good dust collection and a low-vibration sander. I find it therapeutic.

Milling lumber with not-too-complex-joints and power tools is fairly easy if you spend the time to set up your equipment well once, and then have patience when measuring and cutting.

On the flip side, there are so many different variables that go into the quality of a finish (differential wood absorption, intended use (strength of finish), getting the color just right, getting the feel right, getting the sheen right, temperature and humidity at application and curing, compatibility of various 'layers' in the finish,...) that it can be maddening. It's part art, part science.

I accept my current lack of skill as my challenge for the next decade, so I am going to enjoy it, whether I like it or not.
    Mark McFarlane

I voted hate it but put in as much effort. It's akin to watching grass grow but having to be an active participant. The back aches, oh the back aches when doing it.

I agree with Martin. I was advised by an expert finisher that if I hate finishing the best thing to do was find a good finisher and leave it up to him or her. Now if I could only find someone who loves sharpening!

Blog Entries
    I hate finish work, but I usually build something for family members and I know I can finish it better than they can. I wish I had better finishing skills.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I agree with Martin. I was advised by an expert finisher that if I hate finishing the best thing to do was find a good finisher and leave it up to him or her. Now if I could only find someone who loves sharpening!
    Oddly enough, sharpening chisels and block planes really does it for me. Everything else though, hand it off to the carbide guy who stops by every other Monday.

I actually kind of enjoy it. It's nice when something you've been visualizing for weeks, or months, finally is finished and turns out the way you had hoped.
    It feels good.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)