Thread: Constructing garage to house door - clarification

Constructing garage to house door - clarification

I'm considering building a new door for between the garage and house. My understanding is it needs to be solid wood (or steel) and at least 1-3/8" thick to meet the minimum fire rating. Can you have portions of the door that are thinner than 1-3/8, e.g. recessed panels made from 3/4"? Or is the entire area of the door expected to be 1-3/8" thick? Thanks!

Do you really care whether the door face in the garage looks like a frame-and-panel door? Or are you mostly concerned with how the door looks from inside the house? If that's the case, you could build/buy a standard wood frame-and-panel door, and screw sheet steel on the garage side. That's how my last house was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Do you really care whether the door face in the garage looks like a frame-and-panel door? Or are you mostly concerned with how the door looks from inside the house? If that's the case, you could build/buy a standard wood frame-and-panel door, and screw sheet steel on the garage side. That's how my last house was built.
    Inside the house, of course. That's an interesting consideration...what thickness sheet steel would I need?

It depends on what your local building code is. By me it's supposed to be a 20 min rated door with self closing hinges or closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    It depends on what your local building code is. By me it's supposed to be a 20 min rated door with self closing hinges or closer.
    Same for me...

A San Francisco building inspector is going to want to see the UL rated label on the jamb side of the door. How about starting with the proper UL rated door and "dressing up" the side you want to impress everyone with? Pretty VS the lives of your loved ones, your choice....