Thread: Seen at the fest today

Seen at the fest today

A few wood working items...
    crosscut saw.jpg
    They were trying to hand crank this to start it up...
    saw mill.jpg
    Why are they just sitting around? IF you look closely, you will see the BIG saw blade leaning against that wagon back there. The Farmall tractor's PTO will power the wide belt..
    bearing trouble.jpg
    Whenever they fix the bearings. And, that is the small blade, to boot.
    Vise.jpg
    Vise was a bit more than I had in my pocket....$24...had other things to see..
    big planes.jpg
    The BIG plane is a KK 8c, they only wanted $110 for it, beside it is a #6c @ $45.
    planes.jpg
    Yep, it says KK 8...the #80 was $25....That roll of auger bits in the last picture? $40. I did buy a few things....spent a whopping $10 today, and had $6 left in my pocket...Hammers, anyone?
    tool tubs.jpg
    LONG..HOT...tiring day, walked over 2 miles again. that was after about the same yesterday....I think I will pass on going down there tomorrow...now, IF this thing had been full..
    barrels.jpg
    The Oak one, of course. Just my luck, dry town, empty barrel...somehow, it figures...

We went to Johnstown.....

Swappers Day. Spent about four hours looking for nice rusty stuff. All I saw was crusty/beat up and generally not worth bringing home.

I did spend less (on tools) than you. I paid a buck for a brass brush.

Imagine the size of dovetails that first saw (mill) would cut.

Dollar for the handle, dollar for the chisel......
    mortise chisel.jpg
    Buck Brothers 3/8" Mortise chisel

pile of tools.jpg
    Couple of $1 Millers Falls 3/4" chisels, the $1 block plane iron has a triangle Stanley logo. The offset screwdriver is a Stanley No.3400 ( $0.25) the bit and countersink were a quarter each. Not too sure about that $2 tri square, but it does have a level in the handle ( oooh, aaahh) Nail set is a 3/32" VA USA. Not a great day, but is was cheap. Worst part was getting back into a BLACK van that had sat out in the bright sun all afternoon....

I doubt IF I will go back there tomorrow, fest runs until Monday evening...I'm just plumb worn out.

It would have been hard to say no to all them chisels for a buck each.

A few more looks
    ?harley.jpg
    They wouldn't let me ride this around, so I had to walk...
    engines 2.jpg
    Same here.
    water pump.jpg
    Water pump, belt powered?
    tool tubs.jpg
    Hmm, too bad I didn't need a hatchet, or a hammer. He had three Broadaxes in another of these tubs....but they were without a handle.
    field of tractors.jpg
    But, this is why it was called a Tractor Fest....
    special.jpg
    From the Green & Yellows, to the
    tent tractor.jpg
    Reds and white...
    tractors.jpg
    And any other paint colour around. In the two days I spent down there, I walked over 4 miles. Had to go back the second day, just to see what I missed the first day.
    Happens every Labor Day Weekend. West Liberty, OH. Lions Park. Saw Mill building is new. Admission and parking is always free. DRY Town, though...no booze is sold.

I did get that Brace cleaned up..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Made by Millers Falls, sold by Keen Kutter, 6" sweep
    IMAG0010.jpg
    If it weren't for the Keen Kutter logo stamped by the chuck..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    This would have been a M-F No. 1054. @ $25........
    IMAG0008.jpg
    The other brace is a 14" sweep, with a holdall chuck....

Steven,

Very nice job on the brace!

If you have already answered this same question on other tools, my apology, but I am always wondering how different folks do this same job. It seems like I am always working on rust bargains that in many cases I have owned for years, and it always seems like it takes me a lot of time to clean up old metal tools. The question is, what processes and methods do you use to clean up such as the brace? Have you found relatively quick ways to do such?

Stew

Took me maybe 10 minutes using a wire (brass) wheel. I have one for the grinder, and a few for the Drill press. IF there is a small spot they can't get to, there is a flex shaft Dremel at the ready. Doesn't take all that long to do.

My step father operated a similar sawmill on his hobby farm in southern Indiana. He ran the saw off an Oliver 88 row tractor. Working the mill in the middle of July with the infamous Ohio Valley humidity was one of the most demanding jobs I've ever had. Comes close to putting up the July cutting of hay. Talk about scary sharp, those saws bring a whole new meaning to the phrase.

Dad used to work on Archie Foster's old Ford tractor.....I THINK it was an 8N? Had to push down on the gear shift to start the blasted thing. He'd get it fixed back up, and needed a"driver" to take it back to Archie's place.....14 yr old ME.

I would much rather see these old machines restored, than sitting in some field along the road...
    IMAG0054.jpg
    Every now and then, the Old Coot will drag one of them back to the barn, rehab it back up, and then just sell it. Might take him a LONG time to do all of these.....and he won't sell parts, he won't sell them as is. They just sit out there and rust...Grrrrrrr!