Thread: What is wood shaping?

What is wood shaping?

Since I started woodworking, I noticed that most power-tool equipment (Planers, Jointers, TS, BS, etc..), planes, chisels, etc. are designed to make straight/plane cuts.I came across a SMC forum post a while back in which the SMC member used the angle grinder (and Sam Maloof's video tutorial) to build a rocking chair. What struck me as unconventional was that he had used the angle grinder to shape the chair.

Shaped furniture pieces often feature elegant curves as part of component design. With the current tools I have (TS, BS, Jointer, Planer), I can't achieve the sort of sculpted form that shaping wood produces. What is the proper technique to build, say a rocking chair, from start to finish?

I'm a beginner woodworker so I'd be greatful if you could direct me to the right resources!

[Sam Maloof Documentary]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oZSkD7WoJ4

I think if you google Making a Maloof style chair you will find a wealth of information and several resourses that offer kits and videos to tutor your endeavor. IMO a band saw or jigsaw is essential HOPE THIS HELPS

Minh, how is that table saw working? Get it tuned right?

minh, I am no expert and haven't tried a complicated chair like a rocker, but look up these hand tools: curved spokeshaves and drawknives, travishers and scorps. You can get an idea of cutting curves by figuring out how those tools would work. You are right that curves are a step higher than straight lines and 90 degree angles.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 09-06-2016 at 9:33 AM.

Hi, it depends upon whether you want to use only hand tools, then planes, spokeshaves, coping saw, files, drawknives, and sandpaper will get you there.

If you want to also use power tools, shaper, belt sander, band saw, angle grinder, and sanders will be a good addition.

Regards, Rod.

I've made five of the Hal Taylor sculpted rockers (similar to the Maloof rocker) and used an angle grinder with a flap sander, sanding drums mounted in a cordless drill and the ROS as well as a spokeshave. I've also sculpted keepsake boxes using the angle grinder and then sanding. The sculpting part is fun because that's where personal expression occurs.

I believe Maloof also used a hand-held inflatable drum sander for smoothing/shaping curves.

A Maloof-style rocker is a valid project, even for a beginner, if you purchase plans and follow them closely. There are multiple sources for the plans. Pick one you like and have at it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Hi Mark,

The Craftsman is running nicely, though I'm having some trouble aligning the riving knife with the blade. I found out it's limitation the other day when I tried cutting my 3.5"-thick glued-up, pine bench top and the blade bound and stopped completely while the motor was stalling. Scary stuff! It just comes to show how important it is to also consider worst-case scenario of a particular method.

Had I planed the sections before gluing up the top, I wouldn't have needed to rip it in thirds. I bought a 2.5" router surfacing bit, built railings and planed the top smooth. Pine is beautiful .

Top.jpg
    Last edited by Minh Tran; 09-06-2016 at 1:48 PM.

I made one of those sculpted rockers. I found the techniques for shaping/sculpting joints very applicable for a variety of projects. There are specific "power carving" tools available. IMHO, the cheapest way to do it is with a carbide cutting wheel and an angle grinder. Lee Valley actually has one on their new items page. It's about 3x the price of other carbide shaping wheels, but I suspect it's also more efficient. The angle grinder is good for 'scooping' out a seat and rough shaping. For getting those tight little curves for flowing joinery, though, you'll need something with more detailing ability. For that, you might eventually want to buy one of those carving tools, like a Foredom. To start, though, you can do a lot with rasps - nice rasps. Lee Valley also has a detailing shaping attachment for the angle grinder, which is also on their New Items page now.

As important as the tool is planning your joinery. Flowing joinery requires cutting your pieces oversized, then making your joints while the pieces are fat, and then finally shaping the joint. What is left is usually a compromise between grain matching and grain strength; there is some planning or knowledge of grain direction there.

You might consider purchasing one of the plans from Charles Brock or Scott Morrison. If the full Maloofesque rocker is beyond your confidence, pick one of the more straightforward projects these guys offer. I found both men to be extremely accessible and supportive. Brock's videos (at least in 2010) were marginally more 'artistic', but shorter. He had a great supplemental book which gave a lot of dimensions so you didn't have to reference the video a million times. Morrison on the other hand did not have printed material, but his video was 3x as long, so he showed all the painstaking carving and shaping; something that a beginnner might appreciate. This knowledge is 6-7 years old, and both may have evolved considerably.