Thread: Planing Finished Oak

Planing Finished Oak

Friend of mine brought some nice oak by to get it planed today. It was salvaged from old church pews and had a basic clear finish on it. (Varnish?) I thought the knives in my planer, DW235 were in pretty good shape as I hadn't used it a lot since they were new. Ran one board and said this won't do. Opened it up and turned them around to the fresh side. Ran a few more boards and they act like they are very dull already. Is the finish on the boards what is dulling them so soon? Could have bought new oak for the price of the blades!

Yes! It's the finish.

I once had to remove pink primer paint off the surfaces on some 42x42mm (sorry, I'm an aussie and can only deal with common imperial sizes, 42mm isn't common to me). It was an entire pack of about 800lm, through a 4 sided moulder. Basically the paint was abrading the tool steel so much that I had to keep winding the heads up or in to that they continued to be roughly inline with the table surfaces. At the end of the pack, there was a perfect 42mm wide gouge in each of the knives which was about 2mm deep! Bloody expensive mistake for the boss. However on the plus side, it did joint the knives quite nicely so I was able to ram the timber through at about 16meters/min, usually 10meters