Thread: suggestions on hardware to use / slide out storage in garage for rakes...

suggestions on hardware to use / slide out storage in garage for rakes...

i'm planning some cabinets for the garage and there's a need to store items that one would normally hang from a pegboard. One though is to have some 8' tall x 2' deep x 1' wide panels that pull out and on which you could install pegboard and hang items -- shovel, rake, .. -- on either side. These are shown in orange on the right. Base cabinets are 24" deep and the uppers are 12" deep.

(1) good or bad idea?
    (2) any suggestions on how to build these?
    garage wall.jpg
    Bob C

There are slides sets intended for tall pantry pullouts. For instance http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-pantry-slide-system, and for larger loads http://www.wwhardware.com/fulterer-2...r771-ecd-22-wh

Another thought... You show pullouts that are 8 feet tall. The items you're thinking of storing -- shovels and rakes -- are more like 5 feet tall.

I'd bag the idea of pullouts. Instead of three pullouts, I'd make two 24"-wide closets, each 24" deep. Tools would lean against the walls and the back in each closet. With 24" width, there's room to reach in to back to grab stuff. Simple -- no moving parts.

One other thought... Is this a side wall in your garage? If so, it likely slopes down toward the door for drainage. Six inch slope is not uncommon. If you have one long horizontal bench, like you show, you get to set one end at a good working height above the floor, and the other end of the bench will be much higher or much lower. You could put one of those full-height storage elements in the middle to break up the bench, and use two different bench altitudes to better match the sloping floor.

Jamie thanks. You've got me thinking about the easy route of two 24" broom closets. Btw this wall has no slope.

Bob, That will be an awesome wall of cabinets. Please share your experiences as the build progresses. Just throwing a bunch rakes and shovels in a closet might be cumbersome to remove tangled items, so you might consider still having some hangers in the closet. Maybe hang a few items upside down to optimize wall space.

FWIW, I liked your pullout idea but it is more work and cost. If you do pull outs, maybe consider a central 7' tall vertical divider that you hang things on. Gives you two sides of hanging in each pullout, maybe each 24" wide. Just a quick thought.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 09-09-2016 at 2:46 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Thanks Mark ...will do. I've cut the plywood for the 4 bases and will have then built minus the drawers and face frames this weekend. Soon I'll be faced with lots and lots of drawers.

One other thought I had was to have these on casters rather than hung. So they just roll in and out. But I do want it not to get wonky

Bob,

I actually saw what you proposed being done at another dentist's office.
    He had a set of slides along the top of a metal board (pegboard? I forgot, years ago).
    Forcepts, elevators, periotomes were magnetically attached by "zones" for quick access (in a sterile pouch, of course).

On garagejournal, there's a guy called lilscorpion who made the most awesome workshop thread I've seen to date.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...174553&page=30 He has a similar idea on page 30.
    It's worth a very long read. It starts with just making socket holders for his tool chest, and snowballs from there.

I like the idea of pull outs with hangers on them. It's easy access to all your hanging tools that can't hang over the bench.

Full extension ball bear guides installed like so:

Untitled.jpg

A peg board, reinforced with gussets that also allow you to attach a door, with the guides all mounted on one side. If it's flimsy left and right, put one drawer on top the cabinet laying flat. I've built miniature versions of this for spice racks, works great.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    ... One other thought I had was to have these on casters rather than hung. So they just roll in and out...
    I've tried that for other kinds of storage, and was disappointed with the result. You want to make the rolling cart as big as possible, so it holds a lot of stuff. But that means that the cart must be aimed carefully as it rolls back into the enclosure, otherwise it rubs on the walls. You can add UHMW strips to minimize the rubbing. But you still have to aim the cart carefully. The hassle is not worth the cost saved, IMO -- particularly if people other than you are going to be using the storage.

ok...made some progress. I've actually been spending my time building the base cabinets and drawers but decided to sketch out the sliding cabinets and i think this should work. Justin this is based on your drawing and i think i do want to put a "drawer" at the top and bottom for stability. The one on the bottom will actually be a drawer and will be useful. Matt...i did read that post over on garage journel and that guy's work is pretty impressive...i wish i had some metal fab skills.

The yellow is 1/4" pegboard. what's behind it, that attaches to the drawer slides, is a 1/2" frame of plywood...not solid...just a frame. i'd got a ton to do before i build this part so it may be a while before you see the finished product

what i'm showing here is 3 pullouts that are 6" wide. I still need to verify that's enough room but i would expect so for rakes, shovels, sledgehammer, hoses, elec cords, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

james...thanks for the warning on putting wheels underneath. One thing that helps me out with this design is i really shouldn't have a tremendous amount of weight to carry so i think the current hanging approach should work well. Getting everything aligned so that it slides smoothly may be a little bit of a challenge though
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Bob, That will be an awesome wall of cabinets. Please share your experiences as the build progresses.
    Will do...both the theory and then how well it actually works out.
    Bob C

If it's flimsy left and right, put one drawer GUIDE on top the cabinet laying flat.
    I reread my post and see a missed a very important word after drawer: guide. I put a drawer guide laying horizontally to add left/right stability. Though a drawer at the top or bottom would work just as well. Sorry about the mis(non)type.
    -Lud

No problem. Glad you mis-non-spoke. I think I like the drawer idea better