Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Books on Japanese Tools/Usage?

Best Books on Japanese Tools/Usage?

Since we have a fair number of Japanese/Asian tool aficionados here, I was wondering what books might provide a basic overview of usage and work patterns.

I'm particularly interested in the basic workholding/sawing/chiseling practices since I'm about to build a trestle/timber frame sawbench and figured I might be able to make a planing beam as part of that setup.

It seems like Toshio Odate's book is still the best intro. Should I look at the timber framing books too?

Blog Entries
    Odate's book is very good.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

There are some older books, by Nishioka (a famous miyadaiku) for instance, with useful content, and black and white sketches of mediocre quality, one of which I strongly suspect Odate more or less based his book on. I'm not implying plagirism, but the similarities are disturbing. Nothing new under the sun, and all that rot.

And there are several newer books with excellent pictures and notable contributors to the various chapters. All Japanese language, however. They deal with a wide range of subjects, but are primarily focused on tools, their selection, and maintenance, with some discussion of how to use them, including, in at least one book, how to cut various cabinet joints. The following link is to one such book at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Kanna-taizen-.../dp/4416809115

For some reason, I am unable to copy links to the Japanese Amazon site which has a lot more information. Perhaps you can do a search by C/P the following words.

鉋の技と銘品大全: プロが教えるカンナの魅力と使いこなしのテクニック

or 大工道具研究会

The only books that I recall having planing beam details are in the older books, and those were discussing jobsite setups. It ain't rocket science.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    Since we have a fair number of Japanese/Asian tool aficionados here, I was wondering what books might provide a basic overview of usage and work patterns.

I'm particularly interested in the basic workholding/sawing/chiseling practices since I'm about to build a trestle/timber frame sawbench and figured I might be able to make a planing beam as part of that setup.

It seems like Toshio Odate's book is still the best intro. Should I look at the timber framing books too?
    It's not an authentic Japanese source but there is some good stuff on working methods, planing beams, horses, etc. in Scott Landis's two books, The Workbench Book and The Workshop Book, both published by Taunton.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    There are some older books, by Nishioka (a famous miyadaiku) for instance, ...
    You can read a bit more about Tsunekazu Nishioka, in the book The Genius of Japanese Carpentry by Azby Brown.

If you have the opportunity, a really excellent japanese language book that illustrates many different tools and there use is 木工具・使用法.
    This book is out of print, but there seem to always be used copies offered on amazon.jp. I don't read Japanese, but you can get a lot of information from the illustrations and some use of google translate.

Here are a few photos from the book I copied from an auction site...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

David; it would be a good thing if they published the book 木工具・使用法.in the English language. I would personally find it frustrating not being able to read this books written content.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Steve. I downloaded the Kindle, e book of Scott's Workbench book, which I am having some formatting issues with. I order the Workshop book as a real book, which I hope will be easier to read. Apparently these two books and Toplin's Toolbox book were offered in various combinations over the years, some available now in used books.

May help me along until Stanley does his translations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Thanks for the link Steve. I downloaded the Kindle, e book of Scott's Workbench book, which I am having some formatting issues with. I order the Workshop book as a real book, which I hope will be easier to read. Apparently these two books and Toplin's Toolbox book were offered in various combinations over the years, some available now in used books.

May help me along until Stanley does his translations.
    I have seriously considered translating a number of Japanese books into English. In fact, I have relatives here in Japan that could print and bind the books. But the copyright issues are not so easily dealt with.

Stan

Don't forget Utoob. Jay Van Arsdale had helpful videos for me. Our own Brian Holcombe is also building his own arsenal of videos that I've found helpful. He's lighter on discussion but you can learn a LOT from watching the movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Don't forget Utoob. Jay Van Arsdale had helpful videos for me. Our own Brian Holcombe is also building his own arsenal of videos that I've found helpful. He's lighter on discussion but you can learn a LOT from watching the movements.
    I think that Stan probably knows more about Japanese woodworking than most of our "experts" here.
    I *know* that he has more skill in his pinky than my right arm.

I wasn't challenging Stan, Matt. There are many good resources and talented and helpful other people. I don't think ranking them is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I wasn't challenging Stan, Matt. There are many good resources and talented and helpful other people. I don't think ranking them is necessary.
    The last thing I want is to be compared to others. Entirely pointless. Let's compare books.

Stan

Thanks for the replies. I have azby's book on Kindle and that's what got me thinking about more. The first couple chapters just make me realize how much I don't know, but I guess that's the point. Its astounding that they take the entire temple apart every couple hundred years for maintenance. That's nuts, but completely genius.
    Workwise I'm trying to figure out more elegant ways of building heavy duty joinery workhorses that are bleeding into mini timber frame.

I've really liked my mid range gyucho saws for rough work which is what got me down this path in the first place.

I hadn't realized any of this was covered in Landis' books, need to trek to the garage, err, shop.

If you are interested in building a pair of elegant, but challenging sawhorses, Chris Hall has free plans on his theCarpentryway forum website. Look in the "Joinery" section, under "Project 2: Sawhorse". I started building them, but was interrupted and never completed them. You will have to register for access. Be sure to checkout his blog as well.

I'll second the recommendation to check out Chris Hall's work and blog. There you'll also find info on classes that he offers, as well as his books on Japanese carpentry and joinery.
    Having just typed that I'm sitting here wondering why I haven't ordered his books.....