Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/16" cutter for a record 44?

I've used my Lee Valley Router plane with the fence to make 2mm groves in small boxes. It's a bit slow but it works well. They also sell a 1/16" blade for it.

I made a beech Roubo bouvet to plough 5/64 grooves about 35 years ago. My iron is only narrow for the bottom 1/4 inch. This type of plough gives nicer grooves than a skated plough.
    roubo plough 2.jpeg

Keep in mind that one reason we usually use a rabbet for glass is for ease of repair. It is a lot of trouble to take apart joinery if the glass should break.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lemon View Post
    Why not grind down a larger cutter?
    Howdy Mike and welcome to the Creek.

If the skate on the plane may be too wide to accommodate a 1/16" blade.

It might be possible to grind a blade down and then use it by 'floating' the plane above the work and feeding the cutter a bit at a time until the desired depth is obtained. That is a foreboding task if one hasn't done it previously.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm pretty certain I've used 1/16" cutter by separating and using only 1/2 of the skirt plate behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How about two layers of glass?
    I tried that. Too thick for a 1/8, too sloppy for 3/16

I think my best options are arcyril (even if it scratches easier) or find somewhere that can sell me a 1/8 thick piece

I guess I could also use wood

How does PurpleHeart look with maple?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kasier View Post
    I tried that. Too thick for a 1/8, too sloppy for 3/16

I think my best options are arcyril (even if it scratches easier) or find somewhere that can sell me a 1/8 thick piece
    A side rabbet plane would be able to widen the slot a shaving at a time for a good fit.

Is there a possibility of getting thicker glass?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I did something similar - - glass fronted shadow box - and I made the groove wider than my glass was thick, and made up the difference by using a piece of leather folded around the edge of the glass. The leather made up the difference in thickness of the slot compared to the glass and also cushioned the glass in its place from jarring. Worked well for me and if careful when fitting the leather, it adds an interesting look to the finished piece, as the leather was bigger than the slot so it laps over the front of the glass by about a half inch.

Russ

A side rabbet plane would be able to widen the slot a shaving at a time for a good fit.

Is there a possibility of getting thicker glass?

jtk
    I don't know of any side rabbets that can get into a 1/8" slot, never mind 1/16".

Quote Originally Posted by russell lusthaus View Post
    I did something similar - - glass fronted shadow box - and I made the groove wider than my glass was thick, and made up the difference by using a piece of leather folded around the edge of the glass. The leather made up the difference in thickness of the slot compared to the glass and also cushioned the glass in its place from jarring. Worked well for me and if careful when fitting the leather, it adds an interesting look to the finished piece, as the leather was bigger than the slot so it laps over the front of the glass by about a half inch.

Russ

Interesting idea. My groove is going to be 1/4" deep, so I could easily hide some leather in there and you wouldn't see it. I'll play a round with that tonight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I don't know of any side rabbets that can get into a 1/8" slot, never mind 1/16".
    Just went out and measured the sole on one of my side rabbet planes. (Stanley #98) It actually could fit into a 1/8" slot a little deeper than 1/8" due to the bevel on the skate.

It appears that another solution may be what Joe has in mind.

jtk

My vote would be for a router plane and fence too.

Just went out and measured the sole on one of my side rabbet planes. (Stanley #98) It actually could fit into a 1/8" slot a little deeper than 1/8" due to the bevel on the skate.

It appears that another solution may be what Joe has in mind.

jtk
    Yeah, you're right: If the slot's depth isn't much more than its height then you can ride the bevel. That's true of my Veritas side bevel plane as well.

To be honest I was thinking of the minimum groove width with the plane "all the way in" (at least to the thick end of the blade bevel) when I wrote that. Thanks for pointing out another way of using it.

For that matter you could grind the blade thinner on the "bottom" side to get it to fit into narrower grooves. Maybe time to get an extra set of blades and experiment :-).

I'm trying to remember the width of the smallest cutter a 45 had......without going back down to the shop and digging it out. It is the one Stanley did not make with a slot. Rather they cut the cutter a bit short, and let the depth adjuster push on the top of the cutter. To back it back out, sol. You had to loosen everything up and reset from scratch......BRB, I think I can find the little b....sorry, mine is exactly 1/8" wide...