Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Small Plow Plane User's Group

Blog Entries

Lee Valley Small Plow Plane User's Group

There must be one, if not there should be.

I used my new plane on a scrap of lumber. It was interesting.

First off, there is no sole, so the iron and skate are the sole. The depth is controlled by the side mounted depth stop. It makes for interesting dynamics.

I knew all of this, but never thought much about it.

I can see that I will have to experiment before I use the plane seriously. I have an old woody plow plane and it feels completely different than the Lee Valley.
    Don't get me wrong, I am enthusiastic about the plane, but I'm just saying it is a different animal from other planes I have used.
    There is a side mounted depth stop for use on controlling the depth of the cut. Getting fine shavings is going to require new techique.

Have you LV plow plane owners experienced this?

Less you think I'm complaining, I'm not. I'm just commenting. It is a different animal, a better animal but never the less different.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-07-2016 at 3:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=lowell holmes;

quote(First off, there is no sole, so the iron and skate are the sole. The depth is controlled by the side mounted depth stop. It makes for interesting dynamics.)quote

Well, I went back and played with the plane again. I now realize that the skate functions as the sole for setting iron cutting depth. I can get transparent shavings with it now.

I do expect there will be more than a few adjustments to be learned about, but since no one has written about them (to my knowledge) we have to figure it out for ourselves.
    After all, it is a new toy. So, I''ll play with it.

Lowell -- I'd suggest you try to make something with this tool. I went through the same experimental cuts you've been trying but it wasn't until I made a couple sharpening stone boxes that I achieved some real understanding of this tool. The boxes aren't great (no pix offered) but I learned something. My next project will be a storage box for the LV Plow Plane and I hope my early experiences will make this project more successful. As an aside, it was also my first use of hide glue. That was highly successful.

In for the knowledge. I want one.

Blog Entries
    Charles -- There is a box coming. I agree with you.

I made a couple of slots today to just familiarize myself with the tool.

I was working out sharpening and adjustments, so that I will know what to do. I'm pleased with the plow plane.
    I will like it more as I understand it. Earlier today, I was confused about getting translucent shavings. Now, I know how to
    adjust the plane to get them.

I'm excited to have the

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    There must be one, if not there should be.

I used my new plane on a scrap of lumber. It was interesting.

First off, there is no sole, so the iron and skate are the sole. The depth is controlled by the side mounted depth stop. It makes for interesting dynamics.

I knew all of this, but never thought much about it.

I can see that I will have to experiment before I use the plane seriously. I have an old woody plow plane and it feels completely different than the Lee Valley.
    Don't get me wrong, I am enthusiastic about the plane, but I'm just saying it is a different animal from other planes I have used.
    There is a side mounted depth stop for use on controlling the depth of the cut. Getting fine shavings is going to require new techique.

Have you LV plow plane owners experienced this?

Less you think I'm complaining, I'm not. I'm just commenting. It is a different animal, a better animal but never the less different.
    You might want to build a taller wooden auxiliary fence to screw to the one that comes with it. The metal fence is fairly short and it takes some attention to avoid tilting the plane. A tall aux fence solves that problem when the work is tall enough to allow it (for short work you have to remove the aux fence and just use the metal one).

I love my plow, though it does take some practice to figure out all of the ins and outs.

Lowell, add a subfence before you go on. It add greatly to control and accuracy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Lowell,

There are a few old threads about using the Stanley #45 which is a similar type of plane. Some things to be considered are possibly taking a practice stroke over the full length of the work. In a situation like Derek's picture, if you have your left hand supporting the fence it would be possible to bang your knuckles on the vise's chop. There is a sweet spot for shaving thickness. Thin shavings will take a long time. Thick shavings will be more likely to leave some tear out. On the Stanley #45 it is very easy to get the skate/rail/sole out of parallel with the fence. This will cause binding in the cut. I do not know of yet if this has been eliminated by the LV plow.

I am somewhere on the list of folks who were going to get a chance to use and review this plane. It seems someone on the list may have dropped the ball. My last email to them was not answered. Rob Lee did send me an email, but so much has happened since... In a couple of weeks I will under go surgery which will put me out of commission for a month or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Lowell, add a subfence before you go on. It add greatly to control and accuracy.
    Derek
    And don't forget to duplicate the "rabbeting pocket" from the metal fence to your wooden fence (see the instructions: http://www.leevalley.com/US/html/05p5801ie.pdf ).

It sounds like a therapy group. Perhaps all of you can merit a group rate.

It is a very neat plane. I actually have two, one setup with the extra support for tongue or wider blades. Plane is pretty straightforward, key thing is to apply sideways pressure on the fence and forward pressure om the handle. Once you resist temptation to push with the fence you should be all set, same goes for the LV rabbet planes. I also pre-score the groves with a marking gauge if going against the grain.

I learned a few things the other day using it.

1. Why there is a left handed version: it's not JUST for left handed people.
    2. I needs the bigger fence if you're using the beading irons

Speaking as a plane user here.

I have lots of plows from old wedge arm plows, to screw arm plows, Stanley and Record iron plows, even a Stanley 46 (skew ironed plow). Transparent shavings are for fun, but if you want to build something, you take nice thick shavings to get it done in a few strokes instead of all day. Maybe the first few passes are light, to get below the surface without tearout, but after that I crank it up and take as thick a shaving as I can.

I found that for hard woods like oak and ash, the Stanley 45 is my favourite. And if the job is only for a narrow little groove the O43 is awesome. Smaller than the LV Small plow I think.

Darrell
    who will be gettin back into the groove, making a till for a tool chest
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Blog Entries
    I agree with you Darrell. I'm having fun with my new toy.

Yes, the LV small plow plane makes me smile every single time I use it. I too discovered that an auxiliary fence is especially helpful when cutting beads.