Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying from Brick and Mortar stores

Buying from Brick and Mortar stores

It seems like every time I want to support my local stores--Best Buy and Office Depot they don't have what I want in stock and they want to order it for me. I know I have to pay tax on local purchases whether the store has the item or not. They are really forcing me to buy off the internet and if I do that I'll buy from a no tax, no shipping place. The latest items I'm trying to buy are a Windows 7 Pro OS and a Samsung SSD totalling better than $200.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Those are items that may not be common on some retail store shelves, particularly the OS which Microsoft isn't pushing anymore. Win7 will likely come out of "leftover stock". Honestly, for computer components, I generally buy from Amazon and OWC and source larger things like monitors and wireless APs from either Amazon or B&H Photo.

But I do understand your point about wanting to support local businesses. At least when the store orders for you (or you order online for in-store pickup) you most often do not need to pay for shipping...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I try to support local business as much as possible but more often than not they don't have what I'm looking for or their prices are sky high.
    Sounds silly but UPS just delivered a 6 year supply of tooth brushes of a style I couldn't find locally anymore. A few clicks on Amazon and they're here in a couple of days.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I support local stores because that way there is someone who has to look you in the eye and say this is a good product. Tasmania has always been a place where you wait for stuff - as an island with less than half a million people spread all over that's just life. Just take it easy and wait the few days or whatever. I prefer a casual stroll towards the grim reaper, not a rush and hurry. Cheers!

I agree with Jim. I needed to buy Windows 7 pro not long ago and knowing Microsoft is no longer pushing that product, I searched online. There was no point looking for it locally.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I try to support local family-owned stores, not national chain stores. It's easier to find things online than visit a national chain store for many things.

Blog Entries
    I went to my local MicroCenter for some computer memory for my 7 year old Dell Precision 690. They guy told me that MC doesn't carry that memory type anymore but he helped me formulate a search key for Amazon so I could be sure I got the right stuff. Microcenter didn't get my business that day but they got some great karma. Microcenter was my goto store back in Kansas and will continue to be here in northern Virginia.

I'm with Rich. National chain...I'll just order from my Prime account. I do however try and buy my woodworking stuff from my local Woodcraft. I know it's a franchise so I want them to stick around awhile. Also, I have noticed Home Depot is generally cheaper than Amazon so I figure out if I need to pay tax on that particular item on Amazon and if so I usually get a better deal at Home Depot, or at least I can just run and pick it up. Most Home Depot purchases I want to see in my hand first anyway to be sure it's the right item/size.

The pricing structure of Home Depots where I live makes it easy to save 10 or 20 percent on many items at Amazon without paying any tax or shipping charges. HD must not have uniform pricing nationwide. You do have to know what you are buying since there is no opportunity for prior inspection. On the other hand, Amazon will take back merchandise under conditions that a local store might find unreasonable.

We try to support brick and mortar, especially brick and mortar, whenever possible and even if it means paying a little more.

However, the other day, we went into a local outdoor gear place for a new set of adventure sandals for my wife. Specifically for the reason that we could try them on, get some personalized service, support local business, etc. The sales associate who helped us was a real piece of work and to make the story short, I ended up just saying, "Let's figure out what size you need and buy them on Amazon", which we did. So, there is a line at which I will go to support local brick and mortar places.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I don't consider Best Buy or Office Depot or Home Depot or Menards or Walmart or Costco etcetc to be local stores. They are huge nationwide chains and I could care less if they are competitive or not. If one closes another one or two open in their place.

The national chains do support the local economies through wages paid to local employees. Some national chain stores are actually owned by locals through franchising. National chains with brick and mortar stores in you local area pay local and state taxes like locally owned businesses.

I try to support local brick and mortar stores as much as possible but sometimes they make it really difficult with high prices, lack of inventory or lack of variety, poor service or lack of amenities like parking.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-09-2016 at 1:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bet Microcenter in Brentwood has both in stock at a good price.

We order a lot of stuff on Amazon because its not stocked locally. I also order a good bit because with Prime I can just order when I think of it and it shows up 2 days later. No hassle dealing with the umpteen traffic lights between home and the big box strip here (which may or may not have it anyway since we only have the basics.)

One big reason I buy online:

Ink for my Canon Printer from Office Depot, and note my printer has a second small black inkwell
    that's not included, plus add 6.85% sales tax:

inkofficedepot.jpg

Ink from Amazon, 2nd black inkwell IS included, no shipping, no sales tax,
    the price isn't for each inkwell, it's for ALL FIFTEEN inkwells, 3 each of all 5 colors...

inkgeneric.jpg

I hated using this printer till I found this ink-- you can see how much is in them, they DO last longer,
    and other than one (out of a dozen so far) dripped a bit when I opened it, NO issues. My photos
    look exactly as good as they did with the expensive stuff. I use the bageezuz out of this printer now!

Same for lots of stuff, like $28 for a 4' HDMI cable at Best Buy, a 50' HDMI cable is $14 on ebay-- and it works.

My biggest complaint with local stores is the same as Mikes-- I've been into every Lowes and HD in my area
    the past few weeks, looking for a 5" duct pipe with a 4" "y"-- they all have a price tag for them,
    and a place on the shelf for them, but they never HAVE them... frustrating...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    One big reason I buy online:

Ink for my Canon Printer from Office Depot, and note my printer has a second small black inkwell
    that's not included, plus add 6.85% sales tax:
    This seems like comparing apples to oranges. Generic ink is going to be cheaper in almost all cases. Amazon is not always cheaper when you compare the exact same items although they can beat just about any price at Office Depot.