Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know anything about The Innocence Project?

Know anything about The Innocence Project?

Lately their name has been coming up regularly in my reading, etc. According to their site, they try to reverse wrongful convictions using DNA. I've just started researching them and thought perhaps some of you could add to what I'm finding. So far, it sounds like a good organization that's trying to do good things. It looks like they have affiliates all over the world.

What do you folks know?

Thanks,
    Fred

Fred,

I know about what you said. There priority is death row cases and life imprisonment, then long term cases.

I have read about these efforts in the past but none lately. It is scary just how many times the convicted person is vindicated.

Art,

It's appalling to learn how many people are freed from death row because of DNA. There have been several prisoners freed (non-death row) this year. The latest of whom I know is Anthony Wright. But a week before him was another. It's pitiful. Perhaps there will be fewer now than in the past.

Barry Scheck founded the Innocence Project. Anyone who remembers the OJ trial will remember Scheck. He was one of OJ's defense attorneys. It was years later that I heard about the Innocence Project and I remember seeing Barry Scheck talk about it. I wasn't a fan of his performance in court with OJ but learning about what he was doing with the wrongfully convicted changed my opinion of him. If you remember the trial, the prosecution submitted DNA evidence and it was Scheck's cross-examination that put the DNA evidence into serious question. Later Scheck uses that same tool to reverse wrongful convictions.

Funny how life leads you down unexpected paths.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Rich,I'm pretty sure you remember the Roger Coleman case. The things he was SEEN doing by victims he did not kill are almost beyond belief. I reccomend the documentary on his death penalty case. He did get the DNA test he wanted.

Look up Johnny Frank Garrett, an inmate Texas executed and was later proven innocent. Oops. They wrote a documentary about him.

Blog Entries
    I recommend two books:

"Actual Innocence" is a book co-authored by Barry Scheck in which they analyze 9 cases of wrongful conviction to see what went wrong in the original trials.

"Picking Cotten" is a book co-authored by a rape victim and the person she mistakenly identified as her rapist. Joseph Cotton spent years in prison before being exonerated by DNA analysis. It's an exploration of eye-witness testimony and the science of memory. It will convince you that eye-witness testimony is some of the least reliable evidence but the most compelling.

My daughter is a DC appellate lawyer and has worked on several pro-bono cases before the Supreme Court for the Innocence Project.

I heard Barry Schenck on the radio and what is chilling is that they only take the cases where DNA evidence is available to be tested -- he said that a similar percentage (I forgot the number) of innocent people are likely in jail, but that without DNA evidence available to clear them there is nothing they can do to help them.

Thanks folks. I'll go read a couple of the items you suggested.
    I appreciate it!
    Fred

Proving someone innocent is good. Saying the prisons are full of innocent guys is Schenck's schtick. He said OJ was innocent. Subtle he ain't ,even when it could help his case.

Blog Entries
    I do not have much to add to the information about the Innocence Project beyond what has already been offered.

Personally it has taken me from being pretty much on the fence about the death penalty to being tilted toward opposition.

Persuasion is a science. It is used daily in sales and advertising. It is just as effective in a court room by lawyers trying to elevate their careers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here is a link to a well written piece in the New Yorker about a wrongful conviction in Texas based on eyewitness testimony, and the efforts to get justice for an innocent man. It is amazing that actual evidence of innocence is not always enough to get a hearing.

There is a fellow who was scheduled to be executed recently, and a judge ruled (I kid you not) that (strong) evidence of his innocence was not a legal argument for a stay of execution.

It it goes to show how screwed up death penalty cases really can be.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    There is a fellow who was scheduled to be executed recently, and a judge ruled (I kid you not) that (strong) evidence of his innocence was not a legal argument for a stay of execution.

It it goes to show how screwed up death penalty cases really can be.
    Paul was this stateside, or in Canada? (Forgive my ignorance - I dont know whether Canada even allows capital punishment.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”