Thread: Simple dining table

Simple dining table

I wish simple meant fast, but I'm slowwww. We've had these plywood chairs forever, and my wife loves them, so I did my best to make something to go with them. I can't stand kicking stretchers and bumping into table skirts, so I kept the base super simple. It doesn't show in the pictures very well, but the top has a slight boat shape.

BTW, getting a decent photo of a table in a small room with an iPhone is hard.

IMG_3826.jpgIMG_3830.jpg

Simple with clean lines. I like it!
    Nicely done Jesse!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I really like the grain of the top. What material is the table made from & what finish did you use?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys

Doh, I totally forgot the technical details: the base is ash, and the top is Japanese sen on Baltic birch (backside is ash). The legs are joined with pinned tenons, and the top is attached with z clips. Finish is poly over blond shellac.

A couple random shop photos:

IMG_3462.jpgIMG_3466.jpgIMG_3798.jpgIMG_3818.jpg

Very nice work. I like the contrast between the light and the dark.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

So you made a table cuz your wife had the chairs? Lucky it wasn't the other way around. Woodworking is laborious enough as it is. Sweet grain on the top and elegant design.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Superb top. Well done!

8. simple yet looks presentable.. I like the top too

I like simple and I like that table. "Simple" is often associated with crude but you've proved that it can also be elegant.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Very nice, Jesse. Love the wood grain. BTW, in the first photo there is a vise with a cool looking chrome handle...what brand is that?

Thanks again for the comments, everyone. I forgot to mention that I had never veneered something that large before, and I blew it the first time. It was a great learning experience though, and I got lots of practice jointing and taping veneers . I salvaged what I could from the failure for some shelves in my wife's sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice, Jesse. Love the wood grain. BTW, in the first photo there is a vise with a cool looking chrome handle...what brand is that?
    IIRC, I bought the vise from Lee Valley. It's worked well for me, but it's definitely not a fancy vise. Goes well with my not-so-fancy workbench.

Agreed! As much as I like working in the garage, building a set of identical chairs might break me.

Nice table... I like the shape! The veneer top is fantastic.

Jim