Thread: power feeder advice

power feeder advice

I obtained a power feeder in a package deal a couple years ago. Recently I have set it up on my shaper and tried it out. MY problem is the wheels are glazed over and dont grip the piece of 2x4 that I am learning with. Can I sand the wheels ? My feeder is one h.p. three wheel type. It is a king Canada brand. Made in Taiwan. Where would one get new wheels and what type of compound should I get ? My use would be solid wood . any advice is welcome,thanks Mike

I had a set of rubber wheels on my shaper that I used to put a sanding block to while it was running. Worked fine but I had to do it often. I ended up replacing them with some wheels from Western Roller. Call them up and they will tell you what you need. I bought the 70 duro yellow.

http://www.westernroller.com/products/super-feed/

Western roller, Axiom, or Actrotech all sell either the yellow or blue urethane wheels. They are what all feeders should come with but never do. Dave

Thanks for the help guys. Another question...How do you determine what speed to run your feeders at? Mine has four speeds hi and low in two ranges(I have to take the cover off to switch the gear).

Mike, there is a good thread on this topic here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-amp-feed-rate

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Mike, I used to drive through Grassy Lake all the time when I had to go to Lethbridge from the Med. Hat Area.

You can get quite a bit more life out of the wheels when you coat them with Plasti Dip, don't buy the spray buy the 22 oz can, Home Hardware and Home Depot sells it - I haven't tried the knock off brands.
    Clean the wheels thoroughly first and a use a file or the coarsest sandpaper you have to rough up the surface then apply the Plasti Dip, I also use it on tool handles like clamps to get a better grip. Store any leftover in a mason jar, don't leave it in the can.
    Tip: Protect your work area, it can be a messy job and tends to drip for a long time before it finally sets up.
    I had new wheels prices out for my power feeder about 3 years ago and couldn't believe what they wanted for cross border shipping. Maybe prices have changed since then - I don't know, or you can have them shipped to a depot south of the border and pick them up there.

Thanks Andy and John. I will check out that thread. John if you drive thru Grassy now and look to the North side of the highway you will be going right by my shop. I send all my shipments to a business in Sweetgrass Mt. To all of you Americans you guys have no idea how good you have it. I recently purchased a cmt shaper insert cutter head and even with a dollar that is currently at about .70 U.S. I got it home for half the price it is new here.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Mike, when you need shaper cutters or insert knives give Bill at Felder Machinery Imports in Calgary a call and tell him I sent you (Google his phone number, I'm not sure if it's ok to post it here), he is very knowledgeable and has always treated me very well. Send me a PM if you want more info.

John, PM sent.