Thread: Mineral Spirit Coloration

Mineral Spirit Coloration

I've always bought mineral spirits from a big box store or local hardware store. It has always been in a metal can. The color is clear. Yesterday I saw a gallon at a local Wallyworld that was in a white plastic jug. It was about $4.00 cheaper per gallon then that in the steel can. I bought it and when I went to use it, the color was a milky white. Is this normal? Has the mineral spirits possibly leached the white off of the jug? Is it safe to use as a mix for stains and varnishes? I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm confused on this. Thanks, Steve.

If it doesn't look the same, it isn't the same. Put it aside for initial cleaning of paint brushes or something similar and go and buy the proper stuff. 4 bucks is cheap compared to re-doing a whole job. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

If you google "milky white mineral spirits" you will find lots of info, including some wood finishing issues.