Thread: Highly anticipated turning demo

Highly anticipated turning demo

I am finally getting an opportunity to see a demo by renowned turner/artist Derek Weidman. He is going to be at two clubs here in Virginia next week, including Central Virginia Woodturners, of which I am a member.

I have wished at times I could look over his shoulder, so to speak, as he makes his artistic marvels at the lathe, sculpting by using multi-axis turning techniques, and witness what this turning genius does as he creates his masterpieces. Now I have my opportunity! In case you have never seen his work......marvel at the artistry at the lathe!

http://weidmanwoodsculpture.com/gallery/
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jealous, love great demos like you are anticipating. Hope it lasts long and is as good and informative as you hope!

He does a fantastic demo. Super fun to watch and listen to him to try to understand his creative process.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

if he takes requests from the audience on something to turn...ask for an armadillo.

I attended all (six?) of Derek's rotations at the OVWG symposium last October. It was fascinating! It's amazing what can be done on a lathe -- especially when he is doing it. As a result, I took his week-long class at Arrowmont last month. That was an eye-opening experience well beyond watching him do demos. I really enjoyed the week and learned a tremendous amount. He's a great teacher. I'll never look at turning, particularly multiaxis turning, the same way again. I finished the week with several pieces completed (animal heads). I intend to continue exploring, building on what I learned. It's a whole new world.

He does fun stuff. I had to go to a couple of his sessions at Totally Turning, and he will be at the Lancaster symposium coming up. He is a member of my club but it's been a while since he demoed for us.

Saw Derek Weidman tonight.....he turned a Rhino head. His thought processes are a marvel to watch as he employs them visibly as he uses multi-axis techniques on the lathe. He is also a really nice young man...I enjoyed our conversation together. I would encourage any turner to take advantage if an opportunity presents itself to see him demo.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!