Thread: Diston Saw

Diston Saw

I have a small (~14 inch) Diston saw with teeth on both the upper and lower edges of the plate. It had a correspondingly small handle. I have not been able to find any reference to any such animal. Does anyone have any thoughts?

John

Could it be the same as in this thread? http://lumberjocks.com/replies/2996458

3. D19 flooring saw? http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/gallery2.html About 2/3 the way down the page.

Neither of those. I measured the plate this afternoon and it is 12 inches long. The plate is shaped as a normal rip saw. there is a normal looking, albeit small, rip saw handle. Both edges of the plate have teeth their entire length. Both sides are 9 per inch and both appear sharpened as rip saw teeth.

You might hafta show a photo. Disston put out a small saw they called "The Imp", but I can't tell unless I see it.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

The "IMP came through my shop about a year ago,,,,just a normal looking saw.
    Seems the OP's is more of a flooring saw.

I have a combination backsaw by Bishop. It has teeth on both the upper and lower side of the plate. The handle has a quick release on it so you can reverse the plate, and use either the top teeth or the lower teeth. Works like a normal backsaw otherwise. Mine is sharpened rip on one side, and crosscut on the other.

I think I have seen Disstons like that at one point, but they are not all that common.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I have a combination backsaw by Bishop. It has teeth on both the upper and lower side of the plate. The handle has a quick release on it so you can reverse the plate, and use either the top teeth or the lower teeth. Works like a normal backsaw otherwise. Mine is sharpened rip on one side, and crosscut on the other.

I think I have seen Disstons like that at one point, but they are not all that common.
    John G. made no mention of a bar on his saw like the Bishop #10. Here is a picture of my Bishop #10:

Setting the Bishop 10.jpg

It would be a help to determine what John G. has if he could post an image of his saw.

I like my Bishop #10 but since have acquired a few other saws that keep it in the till.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-12-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's probably either a plumbing, pruning, or cabinetmaker's saw.

Cleared that right up

Just a word of caution. he last time I looked, the terms of service did not allow he posting of direct links to another forum. The policy could have changed but it is worth checking into. Your post could be edited or deleted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Grider View Post
    Cleared that right up
    How about letting the rest of us in on it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

IMG_1255 (4).JPG
    Here is the Disston saw I am asking about.

I don't know, that might be one of them MOC saws, but I don't know.

Hey, that's The saw for the guys who like to saw really fast and work themselves into a good sweat. I just couldn't resist.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe