Thread: Solid Oak 6 Panel Interior Doors

Solid Oak 6 Panel Interior Doors

Is there a real quality difference in the 6 panel oak interior doors suppliers sale? I have seen some indicate it is a solid "wood product" which to me means mdf.....so if they all do it, why pay a fortune for one supplier over others. If you have a good source, I would appreciate it. I don't see making several doors as a good use of time. Thanks.

The difference is mostly fit and finish and veneer thickness. I can't speak to actual brands or mill shops but look at the doors before you decide. Look in the bore if pre drilled to see the veneer thickness. Most "solid" doors are particular or MDF cores.

True i.e. solid doors are available for a cost...

I have Menards Mastercraft solid oak six panel doors in my house and they are holding up fine after nearly two years. They are not solid wood and I am sure the veneer is pretty thin, but they sure beat hollow core doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have Menards Mastercraft solid oak six panel doors in my house and they are holding up fine after nearly two years. They are not solid wood and I am sure the veneer is pretty thin, but they sure beat hollow core doors.
    I went through a pile of them at Menards today and found three useful ones. I will go to another store tomorrow and purchase the rest. It's sort of like picking through lumber; you'd better get the best ones you can.

I had no problem finding acceptable doors at Menards. One door has a very minor chip in it that very well could have happened during my handling or when carpenter installed it.

I needed a non-stock door so they ordered all of my doors and shipped them all wrapped up nicely on a pallet. I figured this way they get less handling so less chance of damage. The guy who was loading the doors with a forklift screwed up and destroyed all of the doors. Menards would only order the one non-stock door the second time and made me pick up the stock doors from inventory in the store.

Blog Entries
    If you want high quality solid wood doors checkout Baird Brothers. They sell doors that are solid wood, no mdf or particle board. They also sell veneer doors. I have purchased several doors from them and have been completely satisfied.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Thanks for that link; it's appreciated.

How do real wood solid doors compare to veneered solid doors in terms of dimensional stability?

+1 on Baird Brothers. I have purchased their lumber, mouldings and sheet goods. The goods I have had shipped came packed extremely well. Worth the hour drive (one way) for my larger orders. Helpful staff.