Thread: Wrong PTO Shaft Question

Wrong PTO Shaft Question

I purchased an belly mower unit for my small tractor that attaches to the PTO output. The problem is that the PTO sleeve (wrong name) on the belly mower is square where the output from the tractor is a spline. What do I do? Here are a couple of pictures to explain.

IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1865.JPG Spline.jpeg

The photo on the right appears to be only half of the PTO shaft...there should be another half that slips into that square piece that has a PTO coupler on it that fits the tractor's PTO and locks in. PTO shafts are designed this way so the length is flexible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Did they give you all of the PTO shaft? Usually the square is the sliding section. I would have expected a square bar that slips into the shaft with the appropriate uni joint and spline welded on one end something like what is labelled Shaft yoke 300 below. If they don't have it, it should be an off the shelf part from a tractor mob. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

When you locate the other half, you may want to lube both pieces where they slide together. It makes hooking up your pto a lot easier. Also, keep the coupler locking yoke assembly lubed, along with the splines with penetrating oil, it will make your life a lot simpler. If you have to buy the other half of the shaft, make sure the pto coupler yoke is the correct one. There are 2 basic sizes, 540 rpm, and 1000 rpm. Yours will take the 540 rpm size on that small of a tractor.

Jim,

It is only the half on the implement. The other half attached to the tractor has the wrong spline to properly mate.

Here are the pictures of the tractor side. You can see the problem. Both halves don't "mate" or align or match. Whatever term you want to say. I would like to be able to change the part on the mower implement, not the tractor side.

IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG

where did you get the mower from they should have the correct part

Rich, what you may have to do is take the piece off the belly mower and take it to the tractor dealer. They may have an adapter that will fit the yoke on the belly mower and mate up with the spline on the tractor's PTO piece.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Based upon my first post (second picture) and the diagram Wayne posted, it looks as though I can replace the "implement yoke" on the mower unit. I will look that up. I found these and am wondering if any of these might work.

http://www.agrisupply.com/yokes/c/3500020/
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 09-10-2016 at 4:10 PM.

That should work. You just have to match the uni joint. It will be better than an adapter. Cheers

from the look of the picture you only have half of the shaft you need 2 parts one that slides into the other. The parts you would need would cost more than a new shaft. I just went through this when one of my yokes broke $60 for each part and $35 for the bearings and tee a new shaft was cheaper
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 09-10-2016 at 5:46 PM.

The yoke on the tractor PTO end should be a quick coupler that slides easily over the PTO shaft on the tractor and locks when you release the outer ring.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...