Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with my new small shop

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Are you going to roll the table saw and jointer out into the middle of the room to use them? One of the tables/workbenches might have to go.

JKJ
    What I am thinking is I could open the garage door which the table saw would be up against. This would give me the space to push long stock through the jointer and table saw, or they could be rolled out the door to give me more room. I was also thinking the table in the center and the table on the right wall would be made the same height (and put on wheels) as the table saw as suggested earlier so they could be used as an out-feed. The 2 tables could also be pushed together to use for assembly and gluing of projects along with other stuff, but that center table might just be in the way. I am also thinking about getting a smaller bench top jointer and getting rid of the bigger jointer I have now, but I don't know if I want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    What I am thinking is I could open the garage door which the table saw would be up against....
    Oh, yes, that would work. Your picture doesn't show a door but I see now your earlier sketch does. What ever you do, it looks like it will be tight. Maybe something else you mentioned earlier that I forgot, but wood storage inside that space would be a problem for me. (Actually, it's a problem for me now in my much larger space, even with wood stored in four other places on the property...)

I had a 16x16 shop once and things were so tight it was a real chore to work on anything bigger than small. I'm way too disorganized to work efficiently in small space except at the lathe.

JKJ

The space is small and will be tight. It's what I have to work with, and I probably expect to much of it. It is a dedicated space which is better than what I have now. I probably won't store much wood in there unless I hang racks from the ceiling. We will be having a shed built in the back yard to house the 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. I will probably store wood in there.

4. Brian, congrats on the new space. I've had a shared space in the garage for a long time and I've learned to value free space as much as possible. So, if this were my shop, I'd do the following. I would try to move the compressor and dc either off the floor or into the garage. You could put them in the attic if you have space or just on the other side of the wall, and that would free up a lot of space.

I would also consider turning the table saw around and putting it against the right wall with the bench in the middle rotated 90 degrees and right behind the table saw for outfeed if possible. I just dislike working without any type of outfeed support - it's a major deal. Then, I would put the planer on a low cart and wheel it under the right of the table saw, and a router in the left table saw wing. This is very similar to a shop setup published by fine woodworking I think (shop in 1 car garage).

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

Just an update. The shop and the house is coming along. The way I look at it, I am getting a shop with a house as a bonus. There is a lot of stuff to getting a house built. The HVAC guys worked all day on it today and they still have more to do. The windows where also delivered today. So here it is as of this evening. I can now see just how small my 10'x12.5' really is.

I didn't quite get all of the house in there.

From the garage door

From the side
    Last edited by Brian Timmons; 10-06-2016 at 6:35 PM.