Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MINIMAX FS-35: Planer Speed

That's the run capacitor SCM sent me It's 70uf. The start capacitor was 60uf. You'll need both I think. I have no diagram. Erik?

Just an update. I found nothing about the motor on the net. Not knowing really anything about capacitors I decided the best option was to take it to a motor shop, so this morning I dropped it off at one in Buffalo. I should know something in 3 to 5 days, once they get a look at it. Thanks for that photo of the run capacitor, Mike. I forwarded it to the motor shop, because there was no writing on the side of the one on my motor.

It now looks like this motor is only 3 HP. That seems pretty small to me on a 14" planer, especially one running at 30 fpm. Those of you who said your machine runs great - what size motor is on it?

John

5HP Baldor would make that baby sing. about $350.

invincible combo 575 3 phase 3 HP original motor runs great
    invincible combo 220 3 phase 3 HP runs great original motor last owner original owner had it rewired to 220 phase to not need a transformer or it was not suggested to him

Machines are 13 3/4 approx cutting width,

General was 14" and had 220 3hp single phase on it and could have used more power at times, it was fine but for whatever reason these machines are stronger,

Just to confirm, I checked the label on my MiniMax combo (same as FS30).
    3520 RPM

There still seems to be a big piece to this puzzle, missing, but I'm at a loss for the time being. I honestly cannot ever remember a complaint about motor power on any Minimax machines, regardless of vintage. It's basically unheard of.

Erik

We will see how it works, Eric, after the motor comes back, and I'll be sure to let you and others know.

I just sold a Foley/Belsaw 12" planer/moulder that had a 5 HP Baldor motor on it. 5HP on a 12" machine! I thought about seeing if I could make it fit into the MiniMax instead of selling it. It would have been a challenge, to be sure, but I never would have had need to worry about adequate power.

Mike, what's the motor type on yours and what model is your machine? The motor on my FS-35 is a Fimec H90LM2DB.

I looked more closely at the planer drive, to see about slowing it down. About the only possible solution I came up with would be to turn down the diameter of the planer head shaft, where it contacts the friction pulley that drives the feed rollers. An easy solution, but not one I'm interested in pursuing just yet. If I upgrade to a Byrd head, I may try it with this head before I make the change - unless the motor surprises me after I get it back.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 09-19-2016 at 8:57 PM.

In Italian:
    mm.jpg

Thanks Mike. You must have a newer machine as that's a 4.8 HP motor; it's certainly a different motor than on my early/mid '80's machine.

John

I got a call from the motor shop today saying that the motor was all done and ready to pick up. I went and got it this afternoon. The run capacitor was indeed bad. They installed a new one (made in USA) with a rating of 35 microfarads. They also installed new shaft bearings and cleaned it out. The charge was $115, which I thought was fair. (I was getting so desperate to get the motor back I probably would have thought twice that amount was OK.) After Houdini like contortions to get the motor mounting bolts and nuts installed, the rest went smoothly. I hope that is the last time I ever have to take that motor out of the machine.

The good news is the machine runs great! I ran a piece of 8" wide white oak through it, taking off a 1/8" bite, and it didn't even flinch. I'm sure that makes you happy, Eric, nearly as much as me. I'm back in business.

While the motor was out for service I took some time to study how I might change the planer speed. Turns out it would be possible by moving the intermediate sprocket to a location where I could install a much larger sprocket on it. I would probably leave the current sprocket where it is and install a new set for the lower speed, giving myself two speed options. With the straight knife head now on the machine I won't be doing that, but if I decide to change to a Byrd head and the 3 HP motor is straining under the increased load, then I will revisit that option.

Thanks to everyone for your help in figuring out what the problem was with the motor.

John

A good motor guy and a machinist are invaluable when get into machinery. Dave

'Glad you're back up and running, John!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good to hear that. Yes, mounting those motors are not easy. I have done mine a few times (have moved my machine 3 times) and know it.

Great to hear your machine is now working as it should.

I know what you mean about the not so easy installation. I recently had to pull two motors out of my CU300 combo and it was not easy. Clearly a compromise that had to be made to fit a lot of functionality into a small footprint.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 09-29-2016 at 1:32 AM.

Glad to hear a happy resolution, John!

Erik