Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench 2.0 Build

Nice looking bench-My bench is out of reclaimed Beech and Maple, be glad to see yours done!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Nice looking bench-My bench is out of reclaimed Beech and Maple, be glad to see yours done!
    Thanks! Finally made some more progress, hope to get most of the bench glued up this weekend. Was able to get the frame dry fit and draw bores drilled.
    IMG_0327.jpg

All the joinery cut.
    IMG_0322.jpg

Leg dry fitted.
    IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg

Took a different approach to the top. Tops were flattened, but didn't want to spend the time to thickness both slabs, also purposefully laminated some thicker pieces near the front. Used a Veritas jack rabbet to align the thickness of the front and back slabs only where the legs are joined.
    IMG_0169.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    just my opinion but if I built my roubo again, I'd go with a 3" chop (Still can replace it of course and probably will in due time). My 2" QSWO chop flexes on occasion. Not often, but enough to make me wish I had a 3" chop.

I have a 3 inch chop on mine of solid Beech that doesn't flex at all, 3 inches is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Looking good. The split top is a good choice given the mixed wood.

Also, FYI I measured the thickness on my chop at 2.5"
    I find the split top to be very helpful in clamping things. Mine is mixed species also, one side is beech the other maple....reclaimed wood..

Quote Originally Posted by Zuye Zheng View Post
    Thanks! I undercut one of the angles to get a tighter fit at top.

Made some more progress, have the top mostly laminated, came out to 23.5" with a 2" gap.
    Attachment 346031

Have the back section breadboarded.
    Attachment 346033Attachment 346032

Also have most of the other pieces milled including a 6x4" mahogany piece for the leg vise and slightly smaller ones of douglas fir.
    Attachment 346034
    Looking very very good....as a guy about to build a second bench, this is enormously inspirational.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work! You'll have yourself an awesome workbench very soon!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Looking very good. Big progress with lots of moving parts starting to come together. What species of wood is the dark end cap on one of the top slabs?
    David

That's a clever trick with the localized thicknessing. Is the breadboard end/cap just for show, or does it have a purpose?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Looking very good. Big progress with lots of moving parts starting to come together. What species of wood is the dark end cap on one of the top slabs?
    The end cap is from the same pile as the smaller back slab, reclaimed Philippine "mahogany" which was originally used to sticker train tracks for shipping. From my understanding this is a pretty generic term for a range of hardwoods from the area. They came in a wide range of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    That's a clever trick with the localized thicknessing. Is the breadboard end/cap just for show, or does it have a purpose?
    I don't think the laminated slabs would cup so nothing super functional, but helps hide the fact that the entire slab was not uniformly thicknessed when seen from the side so mostly for show.

Wouldn't call the glue up smooth, leg tenons were a little tight and really pushed the open time of the glue and over did it a little with the offset on the draw bores, but it's finally together.

IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg

Have some flattening to do to get the 2 slabs aligned and vises up next. Planning to also add a deadman as well but forgot to thickness and plane the front of the slab, hopefully it won't add too much extra effort with the legs.
    Last edited by Zuye Zheng; 12-19-2016 at 2:30 AM.

The beast emerges. Looks like it just emerged from a shell or the cocoon and is looking very nice. Not long now.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    The beast emerges. Looks like it just emerged from a shell or the cocoon and is looking very nice. Not long now.

Agreed...and this is again hugely inspirational.

Now for the toys.
    IMG_0455.jpg

Benchcrafted leg vise (still needs some sculpting) and a Veritas quick release tail vise. The quick release has Veritas prairie dogs since holes are stopped, dog holes are 2" from edge to center of the hole, which took quite a lot of over thinking to decide on.

In some of Brian's videos, saw him resaw with pieces held at an angle with his sliding tail vise which seemed pretty useful so I went with a thicker 3.5"ish chop vs the 2" recommended. Also, when first installed, the chop only contacted the bench top which caused the chop to shift up under pressure, added a block to the bottom of the bench to make them the same height which really helped prevent shifting.

Also recently received some Black Bear holdfasts that I'm looking forward to trying out now that I have a bench that can actually use them.

Looks great. I like that tail vise chop. Please let us know how the B Bear holdfasts (3/4" diam?, 1" ?) work after you get a chance to try them. How thick are your tops?
    David

I also really like the tail vise. Nice to see something different...