Thread: Options for aftermarket / upgrade circular saw base plates?

Options for aftermarket / upgrade circular saw base plates?

Does anybody have any online sources/advice for aftermarket (better than stock) base plates for different size circular saws? Specifically interested in replacement options for Makita 5007MG (7 1/4), and Milwaukee 6405-6 (8 1/4) and 6460 (10 1/4) saws. Nothing terribly wrong with my Makita, but it just feels cheap and has more flex to it than I like for precise work involving circular saws (mostly timber framing and carpentry applications.) The milwaukee models are potential purchases and I'd like to know my options before purchasing.

I work for a timber framing company that has really nice aftermarket aluminum (?) base plates for the Makita 16 5/16" beam saws, but I don't know where they came from. I'm wondering if the same options exist for 7 1/4, 8 1/4, or 10 1/4 saws?

I realize that most of you guys view a circular saw as a "rough" tool, but with some care it can be quite accurate and is sometimes the best option for certain cuts in certain situations. I'm looking for an upgrade over stock base plates. However, it may be unrealistic to expect any tighter tolerances than stock, as I assume that even the aftermarket bases still attach to the saw at the same points?

Thanks for any help!

Am I dreaming of something that doesn't really exist here?

Blog Entries
    If you will google "circular saw base plate", you will be surprised how many come up, after market and replacements.

Phillip, the only aftermarket base I've seen is the one that allows you to use a standard circular saw as a track saw (ie comes with a baseplate and a track) called the EZ Smart. I believe this attaches to your existing plate so not really what you are looking for. If you're thinking of a brand new saw altogether, you might want to do a search in the forum as there are a number of other brands that have a good reputation on top of Milwaukee and Makita. Makita is almost always one of the recommendations though

Blog Entries
    Flex is often a problem with the mounts as opposed to the actual base plate flexing. Perhaps a method of bolstering these weak spots would get you the result you are after(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought one of these awhile ago but to be honest I haven't attached my CS to it yet, tested the plate and the attachment that came with it to see how sturdy it was, it rides on a progrip clamp (very similar to the Emerson clamps), the whole thing feels solid but until I actually use it with a saw or a router, I wouldn't know for sure,Kreg also makes a similar type of circular saw base.
    http://www.busybeetools.com/products...rip-clamp.html

I have googled a good bit before posting this thread and haven't found what I'm looking for from that avenue, hence why I posted here.

I did learn that the base plates on the Makita beam saws at work were bought long ago from a fellow timber framer who had a very small batch of them (couple hundred maybe) made to sell to other timber framers to replace to tiny stock base on the older Makitas. I also found some info about what seems to be the same person through an old tfguild forum thread, but I doubt there's any stock left and it was likely only for the 16 5/16" Makitas.

Glenn, I suspect you're right about the mounts being the root of my issues. The saw is 3 years old, but hasn't been in constant use that entire time. It was accidentally dropped once on a concrete floor from table height, but I don't remember my problems starting after that incident. Aside from that it has seen no abuse. I've used a handful of these same saws (coworkers, etc) and they all have the same flex where they mount as mine does.

The aluminum bases on the beam saws are 1/4" thick milled aluminum and have no flex at all once they are locked down...and a beam saw is quite a heavy saw compared a 7 1/4"....I've been spoiled, I think and am expecting too much.

Thanks for the responses; I will follow up with any new findings for any of you that may also be interested in this.