Thread: Issue after installing a riser block on my 14" Jet Bandsaw

Issue after installing a riser block on my 14" Jet Bandsaw

Everything is working fine except for the blade guard. There is an extension piece that came with the riser block so you can have protection from the highest to the lowest setting however, it will only go up half way because the bolt the holds the two pieces together hits the upper body of the saw. Anyone have this issue before and if so how did you resolve it?

Jeff

Blog Entries
    I did, but I don't recall what all of the issue was and what I did to fix it. I will be glad to photograph it and send post it for you if need be. I had to move the bottom of the guard up and drill a new hole in the bottom so I could use two bolts on it.

I would appreciate that Lowell. Maybe seeing what you did will help me. Are you able to move it all the way up?
    Jeff

It's been a while, and I don't have it anymore, but, mine came with a wing nut to adjust the two-part sliding mechanism. Try to raise the guard too high, and you have to adjust the wing nut to lower the upper half of the guard back down. This gets it out of the upper wheel housing so it won't hit.

Hi Chris,
    So you put the wing nut in the slot of both pieces?
    Jeff

Yes, it adds another adjustment step unfortunately. Move the guard too far, and you have to loosen the wing nut and adjust the second guard part. I didn't come up with it, it came that way with the kit and the instructions explained it.

Interesting. I'll give that a try. I had instructions with my riser block but they were pretty much worthless.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Yes, I can move it all the way up. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it for you.

Blog Entries
    Can you turn the bolts around and put the head toward the body of the saw or use a lower head profile screw. Or get some pop rivets and apply them so the head is toward the body of the saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    bandsawriser.JPG

Here is the picture. I think it shows everything you need to know. I do have the Carter guides, but that should not make any difference.
    (That is a gloat)
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-14-2016 at 10:02 AM.