Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your advice: Tormek T-3, Festool ETS 125 etc

your advice: Tormek T-3, Festool ETS 125 etc

Have an opportunity to buy locally :

TORMEK T-3 sharpening system asking $125
    FESTOOL ETS 125 sander asking $100
    older DELTA air cleaning unit (ceiling mounted) ask $75

Haven't seen yet....My questions are: Are these good models or "older" not so good?....Are the asking prices reasonable?

As always, I'll appreciate your comments/input....Thank you in advance
    Jerry

ETS125 is an old model in the old style systainer. It is also one of the poorest Festool Sanders. The new ETS125 EQ in the new systainer is $195 list price and is probably worth $100 used.

However, it will probably sell to someone that doesn't understand the difference.

If you need a wet-wheel sharpening system and can live with the smaller diameter grindstone, the T3 appears to be a good buy. I use the T7 plus waterstones. I am assuming the quality and design features of the T3 are similar.

Thank you Glen..It is the ETS 125 EQ model...My mistake....Thanks
    Jerry

Jerry,

I like my Festool 125 sander, but the garage isn't a production shop. Nearly all folks have nothing but good things to say about the Tormek.

Ets 125 just depends on if you want a 5 or 6 inch disk. Sure it's just an inch, but that's 20% more coverage per pass if you go for the 150. Otherwise the two sanders are quite similar.

All the prices are fair imo. The Festool is relatively cheap to ship, if you decide you don't like it you could probably offload it for what you paid.

Buy the festool and the tormek Jerry! I would.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

the plot thickens...

Seems you guys like the Tormek and Festool deals..Couldn't get model number of Jet air cleaner but it has no remote or timer meaning it must be an older model...Hmmm.
    Jerry

Further question: I've had bad experience with waterstones in past (mostly the messiness, dripping water , soaking stones, etc.). Will the Tormek be a different (less Messy) experience? Thanks in advance
    Jerry

My friend researched the difference when considering T3 vs T7. The main drawback for me on the T3 is the motor is half duty whereas the T7 is continuous duty. Not a big deal for some but I do get into a sharpening jag occasionally.

I had a clone of a tormek briefly Jerry. I didnt find it too messy - I bought a cookie sheet to put under it and that controlled the little bit of splashover very well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Removing the water tray can result in spillage. I now use a turkey baster to empty most of the water into a second container and that has solved that problem. A cookie sheet as others have suggested also is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Further question: I've had bad experience with waterstones in past (mostly the messiness, dripping water , soaking stones, etc.). Will the Tormek be a different (less Messy) experience? Thanks in advance

one more.....

This should be my last question: How wide a plane iron/blade can this TORMEK T-3 handle (#6, #7, #8 etc)? Hate to purchase and find out it doesn't handle those larger plane irons (80% of my sharpening)..thanks again..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    This should be my last question: How wide a plane iron/blade can this TORMEK T-3 handle (#6, #7, #8 etc)? Hate to purchase and find out it doesn't handle those larger plane irons (80% of my sharpening)..thanks again..
    The straight edge jig (SE-76, comes with the machine so make sure seller includes it) will accommodate 3" so #8 should be no problem. The 2-5/8" will be wider than the stone, but of course you will be moving the jig back and forth along the universal support so the truing tool (TT-50) might be handy to keep the stone consistent. Other standard equipment consist of the angle master, honing compound, handbook, and DVD.